Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yellow tang compatibility

So I have been reading online forums for about a month now and I could use some help. I have a 55 gallon 4ft long aquarium with a 110gallon aqua clear filter. The tank has about 1 inch of live sand and 50+ pounds of (none) live rock but very porous rock. The tank has been cycling for just under a month but assume water conditions are good. This will be a (fish only tank).
I really want a yellow tang and a fan worms. Everything else is second.
I would really like a second fish,

My picks include,
maroon clown, Tomato Clownfish, dwaft lionfish, Anglers & Frogfish, one spoted foxface low, and hippo tangs.

I do understand that some of these fish including the yellow tang should be kept in a larger aquarium and I will be buying a suitable tank for them when they need it.

Are any of these fish compatible in this tank?

Also, If these fish I have chosen are not suitable matches please recommend a vibrantly colored alternative.

I am very new so any advise would help =) thanks,

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

First thing you need is a test kit. Can't just cycle a tank and "think" its ready after "just under a month". I won't comment on the fish choices because it sounds like you want fish that are too large for the current tank. I think if you want fish that large, you need to start with a larger tank from the beginning.

Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The maroon will not tolerate any other clown.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Ray that you can not assume it is cycled. You need to get a test kit and know if it`s done. The two clowns will fight each other. They are both very aggressive. The yellow tang might be OK but I would add it last.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

A small yellow tang would be fine in the 55g. Don't get both maroon and tomato clown. Pick one or the other. Don't know anything about lionfish, but I do know frogfish will eat anything that is smaller then him (including fish). I had a fox face... he died in a week... I would either get 1 yellow tang or 1 hippo... you may be able to keep 2 small ones but trade them out when they get bigger. GL
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Click image for larger version

Name:	tangpolice.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23494

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree that you can't just assume that your tank is cycled yet. what i would say is if you want to get clowns add them first. most clowns will only deal with eachother if they are them same kind. as for a lion fish they are not to bad. they mainly keep to them selves. every once in a while if they feel threatened they will start attacking other fish. other than that happy fishing
Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwisely View Post
i agree that you can't just assume that your tank is cycled yet. what i would say is if you want to get clowns add them first. most clowns will only deal with eachother if they are them same kind. as for a lion fish they are not to bad. they mainly keep to them selves. every once in a while if they feel threatened they will start attacking other fish. other than that happy fishing
Maroons will not tolerate another clown. Im sure there are exceptions to the rule here, but maroons are very territorial and IMO should be added last.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Maroons will not tolerate another clown. Im sure there are exceptions to the rule here, but maroons are very territorial and IMO should be added last.
You can get a pair of Maroon clowns when they are small. One will turn into a male and stay smaller than the female.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

First of all

You have received some very good advice above. The Yellow tang and a clown (or a pair of matched clowns) will work in that tank. The others need a larger tank or wil just devour anything they can fit in their mouth.

For the Hippo and Foxface you need a longer tank (6' min) so they can swim. They will be fine with each other in a larger tank. Just not in a 48" 55 gallon.

Some light reading for you:
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank (STARTING OUT)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com