yellow tang compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strongxblue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have been reading online forums for about a month now and I could use some help. I have a 55 gallon 4ft long aquarium with a 110gallon aqua clear filter. The tank has about 1 inch of live sand and 50+ pounds of (none) live rock but very porous rock. The tank has been cycling for just under a month but assume water conditions are good. This will be a (fish only tank).
I really want a yellow tang and a fan worms. Everything else is second.
I would really like a second fish,

My picks include,
maroon clown, Tomato Clownfish, dwaft lionfish, Anglers & Frogfish, one spoted foxface low, and hippo tangs.

I do understand that some of these fish including the yellow tang should be kept in a larger aquarium and I will be buying a suitable tank for them when they need it.

Are any of these fish compatible in this tank?

Also, If these fish I have chosen are not suitable matches please recommend a vibrantly colored alternative.

I am very new so any advise would help =) thanks,

First thing you need is a test kit. Can't just cycle a tank and "think" its ready after "just under a month". I won't comment on the fish choices because it sounds like you want fish that are too large for the current tank. I think if you want fish that large, you need to start with a larger tank from the beginning.

Welcome to AA!! :) :)

I agree with Ray that you can not assume it is cycled. You need to get a test kit and know if it`s done. The two clowns will fight each other. They are both very aggressive. The yellow tang might be OK but I would add it last.

A small yellow tang would be fine in the 55g. Don't get both maroon and tomato clown. Pick one or the other. Don't know anything about lionfish, but I do know frogfish will eat anything that is smaller then him (including fish). I had a fox face... he died in a week... I would either get 1 yellow tang or 1 hippo... you may be able to keep 2 small ones but trade them out when they get bigger. GL

i agree that you can't just assume that your tank is cycled yet. what i would say is if you want to get clowns add them first. most clowns will only deal with eachother if they are them same kind. as for a lion fish they are not to bad. they mainly keep to them selves. every once in a while if they feel threatened they will start attacking other fish. other than that happy fishing

i agree that you can't just assume that your tank is cycled yet. what i would say is if you want to get clowns add them first. most clowns will only deal with eachother if they are them same kind. as for a lion fish they are not to bad. they mainly keep to them selves. every once in a while if they feel threatened they will start attacking other fish. other than that happy fishing

Maroons will not tolerate another clown. Im sure there are exceptions to the rule here, but maroons are very territorial and IMO should be added last.

Maroons will not tolerate another clown. Im sure there are exceptions to the rule here, but maroons are very territorial and IMO should be added last.
You can get a pair of Maroon clowns when they are small. One will turn into a male and stay smaller than the female.

First of all
welcometoaa.gif

You have received some very good advice above. The Yellow tang and a clown (or a pair of matched clowns) will work in that tank. The others need a larger tank or wil just devour anything they can fit in their mouth.

For the Hippo and Foxface you need a longer tank (6' min) so they can swim. They will be fine with each other in a larger tank. Just not in a 48" 55 gallon.

Some light reading for you:
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank (STARTING OUT)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to AA!

Also to note about the Yellow Tang is that they will establish territories. As a result, you cannot keep many other fish along with it in that aquarium without there being a problem.

I would also suggest a small one. But they are a great fish!

Well my YT gets along great with everyone. BUT, it was the last fish added and the Sailfin Tang is the biggest and oldest followed by the Blue Hippo. Having been in the DT for a few months it is no longer skittish of the Sailfin or Blue Hippo when it comes to Nori time. It jumps right in. Time will tell as for how aggresive it becomes as it grows.

Back
Top Bottom