Yellow tang in a...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would I yellow tang work in a 65 gallon with dimensions 36"x18" LxW? If not what would be the best stocking options for a not so loaded tank. What should I start out with and add too. If not a yellow tang I'd like a pair of clowns. Probably True Percula... Any tips? I like the look of a couple cardinalfish but not sure about them yet. I love blue chromis though.

36" is a little short for a tang. they are very active swimmers. there is some debate that a 6' tank is required for a tang. i would say at least 48" a dwarf angel would be a nice addition to a 65g.

steve r

Thanks for the reply! Alright, no yellow tang. There are a ton of fish that don't get over 5" that I would love to keep though. My stocking list will revolve around a pair of clowns. Will that work in a 65gal? I would also like some blue chromis hopefully... maybe some other kind of chromis? I'm not going to go reef until maybe a few years down the line. lol Any good stocking suggestions are welcome!

the pair of clowns will work for sure in a 65g. i am not too familar with the chromis family. i know they like to school. you might be able to do 3 chromis and the clowns. maybe someone else can jump in with some more chromis info. you could also go awith a few smaller fish like a royal gramma, or like i mentioned a dwarf angel of some sort. i have a bi color that i really like. coral beautys and flame angels are also really nice. are you going to have live rock and sand? some fish will do better in tank with live rock and sand.

steve r

Yes... I'm going to start out with maybe 30lbs of live rock and then 30 lbs of lace rock. I have 2 30lb bags of Carib Sea aragamax. I'm still in the planning stages. All I have so far is the tank, stand, sand, and lighting. (36" 192w PC Strip light) I'm researching filtration and such right now. Thinking sump with a skimmer, but I'd have to have a HOB overflow. The tank is not drilled... Coral beauties look great, but I really like the chromis. lol I wouldn't mind a lighter stocked tank. It would have plenty of life with all the clean up crew and such. I'm looking at spending probably about $1000 within the next couple of months. lol

Im not only considering it, but I'm diving in. Thanks Bill... I'll check out the chart! BTW. I need to discuss some DIY and sump plans with you sometime :p

Ill be in chat for a while :D
And go right ahead and dive in.. :p
I plan and contemplate too much... I havnt had problems with my setups yet though.. that says something I think.. :p

I would not put as much thought into your fish as I would the type of tank you want to have. You will probably change your mind on fish 10 times by then. :D

Back
Top Bottom