Yellow Tang.....not well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swaman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I put a pefectly healthy yellow tang (medium) in my tank 5 days ago.
For the first 4 days, he was very active and sociable. He also took an imediate likeing to one of my clowns, and they became inseperable.
Suddenly last evening, I noticed that he had gotten very reclusive, hiding in the back corners of the tank and not eating.:confused:
Occasionaly he will dart from one corner to the other, but spend no time at all in the open water, like he did initially.
My parameters are perfect, by fowlr standards.
Am I gonna loose him/her?:(
Thanks as usual, for your shared knowledge and experience!
Swa

Sounds Normal to me. Sometimes Tangs take a little longer to get used to there surroundings. Mine took a good two weeks to finally stop hiding and being Shy. I would give him time and I would also keep a close Eye on him.

What else is in the tank with him? Is there anything in there that may be bullying him......other tangs?

yellow tang.....

The other inhabitants are placid.......2 firefish, 2 percula clowns (one of which has cozied right up to the yellow).
The tang seems to be losing his bright coloration also. Hopefully this is a simple stress situation that he will recover from.
Whatever this is, it hasn't effected his appetite. He eats pellets well, but he hasn't come out of hiding to the lettuce that I hung for him.
Swa

Get rid of the lettuce and put some seaweed selects (dried seaweed) or some nori. These are much better for him and will help him out. Tangs are herbivores and need plenty of greens.

I agree, if all he has eaten is pellets that is not good. Tangs need mainly greens. Get Formula 2 by Ocean Nutrition and soak it in garlic guard. Also get the seaweed sheets as Melosu mentioned.
How did you acclimate him? Did you get him online or at lfs?

Tangy......

Seems to be improving! He is getting his color back, and comes out of hiding when I turn off the lights and the tank is only illuminated by room light.:D
I took the advice and picked up some seaweed today. I just clipped and hung a sheet in the tank......is this the correct method of providing it?
Thanks everyone! You've been a great help!
Swa

Seems to be improving! He is getting his color back, and comes out of hiding when I turn off the lights and the tank is only illuminated by room light.:D
I took the advice and picked up some seaweed today. I just clipped and hung a sheet in the tank......is this the correct method of providing it?
Thanks everyone! You've been a great help!
Swa

I like to fold the seaweed up into a triangle like a paper football and then clip it. Sometimes you need to put the clip down low to get the fish to start eating off it.

UTOH!.....May have WAAAAAY over done it for one tang.
Got up this morning and the tank looks like a "snow-globe" with minute frags of seaweed just floating through it.
I guess next time I'll know better, but for the next few hours I'll be netting seaweed debris out of the tank.
I hope what I miss doesn't foul my water!!!.......DOH!
Swa

Try leaving a sheet of Nori to air out for a day..then use it...it will hold together better when it gets wet....be sure to take it out at the end of the day to keep your tank clear.

Back
Top Bottom