Yellow Tang showing signs lateral line erosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a yellow tang that is starting to show signs of erosion around the eyes and its lateral line. Is this reversable? what should I do? My water quality is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, natrates are around 5 to 10 ppm. I use RO water and change about 25 gallons every 2 wks. sHe is always looking for food. I have had for almost a year now I guess. she never really has put on much weight. I have been giving a half sheet of seedweed selects about every other day. Any advice would be appreciated. I really dont want to lose her.

Thanks
John

If you have a voltmeter, check to see if there is any voltage diffrence between your water and ground. A charge in the water can cause HLLE. A grounding probe can solve this problem.

Nutrient deficciencies can also cause HLLE. Tangs are one of the exceptions to the rules about feeding less often. They should have greens to munch on all the time. Absolutely best would be to find a supply of live seaweeds for her, second best is to give her Nori or other seaweed every day, soaked in selcon or another nutrient booster. (Live seaweeds won't involve excess waste, or having to remove the uneaten portion before it breaks down.)

Stress can also cause HLLE

We're lucky, Beth just updated these:
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1712116&postcount=14
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1712139&postcount=15

Romaine lettuce, on a clip will stay "fresh" and on the clip for a longer period of time. I know nori can be a pain, you might want to switch off what you are feeding. Fresh spinach also works well. You might also want to pick up some selcon or zoe to soak any frozen or flake food in before feeding.

I have always read that lettuce has no nutritional value for fish??
I do think that selcon and zeo would be a good idea and feeding maybe smaller pieces of nori daily. I try and vary the food for the fish, mysis,brine,nori and flake with some cyclpoeeze once in a while. I think variety is good for the fish.
fresh caluerpa and algae is also a good idea.

You can't prove that by me, my tangs are fat and healthy....iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, the leaf lettuces do.

I agree that variety is the key to a good diet.

You might consider a grounding probe if you think it's not a diet problem. Wether they help fish or not (still in debate) they will protect you in the case of equiptment failure.

seaham358 said:
There are different kinds of lettuce :)
I'm a guy what do I know..
It's true that the darker, leafy lettuces have more nutrients than the lighter head lettuces. In general though, it's best to provide ocean veggies to ocean fish. If this one wasn't ill, I wouldn't make a fuss about it, but he is, so I think it's important to note that the amino acid ratios are diffrent between sea and terrestrial products.

Thanks Guys,

The advice has been more than helpful. I do believe the issue is diet. I wish I would have realized it sooner. The other fish in the tank are in great shape. I did put some spinach in the tank last night but she wasnt too into it. the banner fish on the other hand loved it. For now im going to supply her with plenty of whatever she'll eat, and ramp up the water changes and see what happens. If I have to seperate her I will do that. I also think the caluerpa is a great idea. Im going to give growing the algae in my sump a shot and see what happens.

I did put some spinach in the tank last night but she wasnt too into it

Did/can you soak that in garlic, selcon and/or zoe. The garlic should intice her to eat, plus helps the immune system....

dskidmore said:
If you have a voltmeter, check to see if there is any voltage diffrence between your water and ground. A charge in the water can cause HLLE. A grounding probe can solve this problem.

I agree with checking this. Good starting point

vitamin c is what you need more of,i went through this a year ago and my tang healed up but still shows scars on her head and sides,i used nori every day and added vitamins to the misis i fed also

Iodine as a dietary suppliment has also been found to help with HLLE. However, when not used properly, it can do more harm then good for the tank.

Are you saying just add to the tank or are you saying to soak the food in it? Dietary suuplement

It took her a little while but she really started eating the Spinach. I have also been giving her a half sheet of nori everyday. She looks better I can visibly tell that she has been eating. This might be a silly question but where can I get Vitamin C is that somthing the lfs would have or do I look elsewhere.

Thanks,

Kent Marine puts out a marine vitamin C, I cannot remember the exact name of the product.

Mmm, this might be a dumb question but... Can we soak fish food in lemon juice to increase the amount the vitamin C in the food? I read a book about clownfish and the guy who was breeding clowns makes his own food w/ lemon juice in it.

FishFrik said:
Mmm, this might be a dumb question but... Can we soak fish food in lemon juice to increase the amount the vitamin C in the food? I read a book about clownfish and the guy who was breeding clowns makes his own food w/ lemon juice in it.
It works with garlic. Might start with a small sample to see if the fish likes it, and make sure it doesn't affect your pH.

Are you saying just add to the tank or are you saying to soak the food in it? Dietary suuplement
Sorry, should have clarified...I used it as a dietary suppliment by adding a drop to my food (along with selcon, garlic and vita-chem) and letting it soak. I can not emphisize enough that you should stckly monitor the iodine levels in your tank if you do this. it helped my regals HLLE tremendously. However, stray voltage could have also been the cause. I replaced two of my poerheads at the same time that were making funny noises.

Back
Top Bottom