Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yellow Vs Blue Tang compatibility

I just introduced my yellow tang in my 55 gallon. My blue tang and him seem to be backing up to each other. Any suggestions

Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They are gonna do that for a while, but will hopefully settle down before someone gets stressed and sick. Nevr know how these things are gonna play out until they finish. Who is the larger?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

Well the yellow tang is whenever he spreads his fins but they are about the same thanks Ray
Old 02-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #4

The yellow tang acutually seems like the agresser the blue tan is hissing in a coral and he keeps circling it
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Hopefully they will settle down but those two in 55 are asking for trouble. If they do fight cut off the lights and move some rock around.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I just added a Yellow to my 125 today too. It was nestling with the Coral Beauty and the Blue Hippo for a bit, then took off to the rocks and the back of the tank. It came back out after a while. Things have now settled down and everyone is playing nice. However, my Sailfin tang has spread out and seems to be staying that way. That's the one I was worried about, but it's 3 times the size of the Yellow and so far no agression.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

No aggression because you have a tank twice the size, cmor. One tang is not even supposed to be in anything under 75G, let alone two tangs in a 55G. No offense to thread OP, but this is irresponsible fish buying. If you researched a little more, you would know that this is asking for trouble as melosu said. Tangs have very high bioloads compared to other fish, and having two is bad news. Tangs are extremely active swimmers and there is just not enough room for two tangs in a 55G contrary to what anyone else thinks.

And on the off-chance you already knew that tangs can't be in anything under 75G, but went ahead and bought them anyways.. then good luck to you and your fish sir.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Oooooh. 55g. Just noticed that. Trouble.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yellow Tangs I am sure are territorial fish, and having two types of tangs in that tank size just wasn't that great of an idea. One of those likely won't live too long, to be flat out honest.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

They both won't live out their normal lifespans because their growth will be stunted due to tank size. Growth stunt equals shorter life span. Beautiful Fish = dead fish.

Tags
blue tang, compatibility, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com