Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp

i purchased a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair on sunday. acclimated 3 hours (added about a 1/3 cup water every 10 min until bag had tripled in size) and added to the tank. well they went their seperate ways, which is fine, im just glad to have them.... my question is that i havent seen them since they hid, is this normal? how long should i wait until i plan the search party?

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, that's pretty normal for the first couple days. You should eventually see sand mounds and dug out areas due to the pistol shrimp's renovations. Check those areas as well as behind the live rock. My experience is that they are pretty shy at first but in time will be more visible.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you, i figured the few days, but cant help but worry .... i got all this new base rock, and now i cant find anything , hehe...... i have seen one mound right around where the pistol went so hopefully hes in there, but thanks again for the tip...

hope dies last
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i saw the pistol shrimp this morning, hes has made himself a home under a rock. cute lil fella. still havent seen the goby tho.

hope dies last
Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

found the goby, and i think he even ate, i put some food near him and walked away, came back and it was gone, so i m assuming it was him. one of the shrimps already had a peice and the other shrimp didnt have anything after i noticed it was gone, so im very happy

hope dies last
Old 05-18-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i took some pics... i just did a water change so hopefully they are ok... the pistol shrimp is very quick as you can tell, lol.....

hope dies last
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Wouldn't pistol shrimp beat up anything that walk to sandbed? Sry im just curious
Old 05-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

not that i have read.. mine hasnt had any aggresition, but ive only had him (or her) since sunday. all the hermits crawl past hime tho. ive researched them and hadnt read about any issues...

hope dies last
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

With the pistol I think you only need to worry about very tiny sized fish, such as fry. He does have the ability to stun fish with his snapping claw (hence pistol.) Have you noticed them working together? If you're lucky they'll form the symbios where the pistol will dig holes for the goby and the goby will warn the pistol of predators (pistols can't see anything), but i'm sure you already know that much. Does anyone else have this pair? I would really like to get one eventually but i'm worried about getting a pistol shrimp seperate from the goby, which i've heard may or may not lead to a symbiosis, which would be quite disappointing as that's what really draws me to the two. Who else has experience with this pair?

Regards,
Ken

Tags
goby, pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp, yellow watchman goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com