Yellowstripe maroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking about adding a pair of small Yellowstripe maroon clownfish for my reef (plenty big to house them) and wondering if they are as aggressive as the maroon clownfish can be. I am assuming they are about the same. Can 2 be introduced at once without a slaughter ensuing?

I have a pair of white stripped maroons in a 75g and they are definitely not aggressive towards anyone else except each other. I didn't buy a pair, only 2. One was about 4-5inches and the other ones were about 2 inches. I went through 2 deaths before I found a mate for it.

slitherbomb said:
I have a pair of white stripped maroons in a 75g and they are definitely not aggressive towards anyone else except each other. I didn't buy a pair, only 2. One was about 4-5inches and the other ones were about 2 inches. I went through 2 deaths before I found a mate for it.

Did you add the first two at the same time? Was there a big size difference in the first two? These are both very small still and tank raised together.

I added the first 2 together and there was definitely a huge size difference. Since yours are both small, you're probably ok. There's was like a 3+inch size difference in mine lol

Yeah, they will be the smallest fish in the tank too. Had a single maroon years ago and he grew up to be quite the bully. Strong too. Still love the clownfish and they have been absent in my reef for years, time to add a pair. I don't keep anemones, but have loads of softies and LPS for them to host in.

If you get two I would make sure one is small and the other one is bigger. That`s how a mated pair is. I`ve had a few and they are pretty mean the older they get. Hope it works out for you.

melosu58 said:
If you get two I would make sure one is small and the other one is bigger. That`s how a mated pair is. I`ve had a few and they are pretty mean the older they get. Hope it works out for you.

That is what is giving me some pause. The rest of the reef inhabitants are pretty set their ways and most are pretty big.

i wanted a pair but to do that i would have to catch the two true percs i have now and it wasnt worth the hassle lol

Added the new tank raised clown fish, one slightly larger than the other and they seem to like each other. But the yellow tail damsels do not. They are currently on the surface swimming around because the damsels chase them off the reef. I hope they settle in. This has happened before and the yellow tails seem to finally kind of give up. May be fish trapping time.

Back
Top Bottom