yet another question about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and I just did a PWC to get the nitrates down.

I think my cycle is complete and may add fish soon.

I'm wondering about fish waste and food creating ammonia. How is that taken care of? Is it converted to nitrites then nitrates again? Does the filter take care of it? PWC?

Just wondering what's going on in my tank. I tend to want to know everything.

And also, what's the best thing to add first? I definitely want some snails but should I add them before waste accumulates? Also thinking about getting these really inexpensive fish the LFS called "chromes" so if I mess up I'm not out a bunch of money. They are gray rather plain looking fish.

How did you cycle BTW? If cycled properly, don't worry about ammonia from food or waste. Add what called your CUC (clean up crew). Depending on the size of your tank and your rock volume, that'll determine how much you need. Maybe a handfull of hermits and snails. Possibly and starfish or a cleaner shrimp or two.Chromis are cheap and do better in groups. What size tank and what are your ultimate goals for inhabitants? Chromis take up space and since you think they are boring, ya might not want to start there

I filled with tap water, then added prime. Then I added biospira. The ammonia spiked then the nitrites then the nitrates. Now ammonia and nitrite are 0 and I did a pwc to bring the nitrates down.

My tank is a 55g fish only tank. I was thinking of getting some clownfish, azure damselfish, royal gramma, and a flame angelfish.. Though I haven't researched this combination or requirements yet.

I don't think the chromis are necessarily boring, but rather cheap to start off with since this is my first dive into sw fish keeping.

Also about 40-50 lbs of rock, but not live rock. Live gravel substrate though.

I recently converted a FW to SW myself and had to take all my live rock out to catch an offending damsel so I would tend to agree with Austinsdad , if u don't love the chromis I'd say getting 1 because it's cheap isn't the best reason . I didn't love the damsel and basically got him for the same reason , because he was cheap and he turned out to b an aggressive pain in the *** that cost me another dead damsel and a lot of work , lol. Hopefully you're going to have whatever u put in your tank for a long time and u want the most enjoyment from whatever u choose.

By everything I've read and been told it's best to start with the cuc . I did, I started with hermits and various types of snails but recently caught my halloween hermit trying to eat a snail for his shell I returned him but still have some smaller hermits although I think I'm gong to return them. If u go for hermits as well as snails make sure u get extra shells for the crabs so the snails don't end up on the menu ! They might eventually anyway though.

I agree with u though chromis are boring...

Back
Top Bottom