Your 55gallon FOWLR tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theman2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone with a 55gal please reply with details on your tank: fish/rock/equipment etc... I need ideas for my set up...

I had a 55G FW that I converted to SW. I have a Marineland Bio-wheel 350, Power-Head, crushed coral substrate, 200w heater, 16lbs of LR (for now), turbo snails, hermit crabs, 2 Yellowtail Damsels and 2 Blue/Green Chromis. Been up and running now for about 2 1/2 months and no problems so far. I do not have a RO/DI, protein skimmer or refugium or a sump. I'll have to take a picture tonight of everything.

image-694535809.jpg

I have a 54 gallon SW corner tank. I have some live rock and a medium depth sand bed. The only equipment I have is a heater and 2 Koralia Power Heads. I recently replaced my T5 fixture with a LED fixture. I may add more equipment in the future but right now everything is doing well as is. I have had my aquarium set up for 10 months and am truly enjoying it. I have a couple of mushrooms and some button polyps. I will add a protein skimmer before I add any more corals. Good luck to you!

55 gallon FOWLR, 40+ lbs live Rick, 60 lbs CaribSea Fiji pink, 3 power heads totaling 46 times tank volume of flow per hour, AquaClear 70, Reef Octopus BH1000, 150 watt Jäger heater, 4 bulb Wave Point T5 light, Marineland LED moonlight.. RODI filter. I think that sums it up, here's a pic:

image-3052810439.jpg

And for livestock:

2 mocha clowns
1 Bartlett Anthias
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Clown goby
1 tiger goby
1 Six line wrasse
1 long spine urchin
Typical clean up crew of snail, hermits, and an emerald crab...

Thanks to all who replied... This helps sooo much. Ill be asking more questions as I set this up.... What's RODI filter

Reverse osmosis deionization... Takes all the metals and additives out of the water.

Ok... How much does it cost and how does it work? Hangs on tank or? Does it help with my weekly water changes?

I got a 5 stage system with an inline TDS meter
pressure gauge from Bulkreefsupply.com for like $175 I think. I just hook it up to my sink with an adaptor and then put it away after the bucket is filled. Yes very helpful for water changes. There is a way to tap it directly into your piping but that's not my style :cool:

O wow so this is the alternative to buying 5 gallons of RODI water every week basically

Yea I finally broke down. I used to lug 4 buckets of water to and from the fish place every other week or so... Factor in cost, plus gas, plus aggravation. I consider it already paid for and I just got it a couple weeks ago lol

I bought an RODI filter as well and have it hooked up in my basement. It has been a good investment!

I have a 55g reef. There are all kinds of pics and stuff on my thread titled "Update of Beengirl's 55g reef" under the "members saltwater tanks". You're welcome to take a look if you're interested. The equipment I have on it is listed in my profile page. :popcorn:

Finally set up!!!!

Attachments

• image-376014028.jpg
    image-376014028.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 187
I'm paying some one who dies this for a living... He brought the water over in jugs from a reef tank... LR came from a reef tank as well... I don't know much but he's taking care of it

Here's mine. I re-arranged it today to hide the filter but it practically looks the same.
img_2180325_0_b16d95041d01417998b305315b985060.jpg

To answer the question about RO/DI.

It stands for reverse osmosis/deionization. It is a filter that does not go on your tank. It is a filter that pushes tap water through membranes/chambers that strips that tap water of TDS--Total dissolved solids= nasty things that you don't want in your tank.

It is VERY important to the system and a great way to start out ESPECIALLY IF YOU EVER PLAN TO HAVE LIVE CORALS.

To sum it up, an RO/DI system provides you the cleanest water possible so what ever salt you are using to make up your tank water provides every thing that is in the tank water, without all the nasty stuff (phosphates, silicates, metals) that comes out of your tap.

RO/DI is to make up your freshwater before you mix the salt in.

Back
Top Bottom