Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zebra eel in community tank

I was looking at eels on live aquaria and they said the zebra eel is ideal for the community tank. is this true? I love eels but have a community tank. Please advise! Thanks!

Old 04-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
steve-s

Depends on what consists of your community. These eels are actually quite peaceful if feed properly and they have the appropriate territory/cave. The main concerns being smaller fish, benthic digging species and mobile inverts.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What would you recommend as the most peaceful eel? I would like to get an eel and look at other fish with it. Now I have two gold headed sleeper gobies two medium size clowns a spinny blue lobster and three shrimp. I know the shrimp would have to go but how about the others. thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
It has been my experience that the snowflake moray would be fine with those fish, as long as it is kept well fed. I would also say the zebra moray has the same temperament and should do fine. There are two pages of eels here:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...id=7&cat_id=17
maybe this will help you in some way.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
steve-s

The lobster would be lunch food as well. I have only had this happen once but I though it worth mentioning anyway. While I do agree with Hara, the possibility does exist for eels to steal burrows. They will actually kill the fish living in it if it does not evacuate in time. My SFE literally ripped a sleeper goby in half, never ate it, just stole the burrow. 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
IME, I have not encountered any eel related fish/invert deaths in my tanks. But that does not mean that this scenario will not happen to you. SFE love to dig so the rocks cannot be stacked too high or in precarious positions. My zebra is abit more easier and his tank consists of a T shaped PVC pipe that he inhabits most of the time and the rocks are stacked and has not been knocked over yet. Both eels are great, and in most part very docile.

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, community tank, eel, tan, zebra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com