Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So the wife wants me to set up a new tank so she can keep a huma huma trigger. Naturally I am all for it. I have been looking into at least a 150 but may go bigger. My question is, has anyone kept a zebra moray? Any pros or cons? How did you structure the rock? Any and all input I would really appreciate. Thinking of starting the cycle within the next two weeks so trying to get my final tank mate list together.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think one thing would be are you getting the 48" or the 72" tank as some fish will do better in the 72" and not the 48".

Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought the 6 foot 180.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Refresh*
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
So the wife wants me to set up a new tank so she can keep a huma huma trigger. Naturally I am all for it. I have been looking into at least a 150 but may go bigger. My question is, has anyone kept a zebra moray? Any pros or cons? How did you structure the rock? Any and all input I would really appreciate. Thinking of starting the cycle within the next two weeks so trying to get my final tank mate list together.
The 72" is a good length. I have had a Zebra and the only issue I had was it can be like an octopus in that they like to try and escape. If you arrange the aquascspe so there are plenty of caves for it to move about without totally being exposed they tend to be happy and not try to get out also don't stack the rock higher than about half way up the height of the tank. Another thing is to keep it fed well and it is a lot like other predators where it prefers to stalk live food. These are my own experiences so I am sure the eels can have they're own personalities and differ for each individual. I had 2 leopard sharks, a nurse shark, a lion fish, and a grouper with my eel. They all got along quite well just remember size matters when choosing tank mates so they don't see each other as prey.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

What did the 180 cost you? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post

The 72" is a good length. I have had a Zebra and the only issue I had was it can be like an octopus in that they like to try and escape. If you arrange the aquascspe so there are plenty of caves for it to move about without totally being exposed they tend to be happy and not try to get out also don't stack the rock higher than about half way up the height of the tank. Another thing is to keep it fed well and it is a lot like other predators where it prefers to stalk live food. These are my own experiences so I am sure the eels can have they're own personalities and differ for each individual. I had 2 leopard sharks, a nurse shark, a lion fish, and a grouper with my eel. They all got along quite well just remember size matters when choosing tank mates so they don't see each other as prey.
My wife really wants a trigger so I'm not going with rays or sharks, but I am thinking a lion and puffer will do well with him. Did yours try to escape often? My concern is this tank will be in our office and we don't go past it every few hours where we can at least check on it to see how everyone is doing. I plan to keep this tank well fed, I like fat fish so all my tanks get pretty well fed.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueerfan View Post
What did the 180 cost you? If you don't mind me asking.
I own my own company, detailing, so I traded a detail for this tank. My lfs got it in on a trade. Most 180's drilled I have seen go for around 200. Maybe a little more, little less depending on the shape of the tank. Now keep in mind, this is just the cost of the tank, no stand, lights, sand, rock, or any filtration.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Did yours try to escape often?.
I had a glass top made for my tank so the eel could not get out. You can make one out of egg crate as well if its a larger eel that wouldn't fit thru the openings.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post

I had a glass top made for my tank so the eel could not get out. You can make one out of egg crate as well if its a larger eel that wouldn't fit thru the openings.
Yeah my tank has a wood top for it so I am just a bit worried that it can escape. My lfs had said they can lift them up. My top has the back side gone so there is ventilation for the lighting, so I would have to put some sort of ventilation that will still allow air but stop him from bailing. I have very little experience with these guys and keep hearing horror stories.

Tags
eel, moray, zebra, zebra moray eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com