Zebra moray eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmkb02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the wife wants me to set up a new tank so she can keep a huma huma trigger. Naturally I am all for it. I have been looking into at least a 150 but may go bigger. My question is, has anyone kept a zebra moray? Any pros or cons? How did you structure the rock? Any and all input I would really appreciate. Thinking of starting the cycle within the next two weeks so trying to get my final tank mate list together.

I think one thing would be are you getting the 48" or the 72" tank as some fish will do better in the 72" and not the 48".

So the wife wants me to set up a new tank so she can keep a huma huma trigger. Naturally I am all for it. I have been looking into at least a 150 but may go bigger. My question is, has anyone kept a zebra moray? Any pros or cons? How did you structure the rock? Any and all input I would really appreciate. Thinking of starting the cycle within the next two weeks so trying to get my final tank mate list together.

The 72" is a good length. I have had a Zebra and the only issue I had was it can be like an octopus in that they like to try and escape. If you arrange the aquascspe so there are plenty of caves for it to move about without totally being exposed they tend to be happy and not try to get out also don't stack the rock higher than about half way up the height of the tank. Another thing is to keep it fed well and it is a lot like other predators where it prefers to stalk live food. These are my own experiences so I am sure the eels can have they're own personalities and differ for each individual. I had 2 leopard sharks, a nurse shark, a lion fish, and a grouper with my eel. They all got along quite well just remember size matters when choosing tank mates so they don't see each other as prey.

The 72" is a good length. I have had a Zebra and the only issue I had was it can be like an octopus in that they like to try and escape. If you arrange the aquascspe so there are plenty of caves for it to move about without totally being exposed they tend to be happy and not try to get out also don't stack the rock higher than about half way up the height of the tank. Another thing is to keep it fed well and it is a lot like other predators where it prefers to stalk live food. These are my own experiences so I am sure the eels can have they're own personalities and differ for each individual. I had 2 leopard sharks, a nurse shark, a lion fish, and a grouper with my eel. They all got along quite well just remember size matters when choosing tank mates so they don't see each other as prey.

My wife really wants a trigger so I'm not going with rays or sharks, but I am thinking a lion and puffer will do well with him. Did yours try to escape often? My concern is this tank will be in our office and we don't go past it every few hours where we can at least check on it to see how everyone is doing. I plan to keep this tank well fed, I like fat fish so all my tanks get pretty well fed.

What did the 180 cost you? If you don't mind me asking.

I own my own company, detailing, so I traded a detail for this tank. My lfs got it in on a trade. Most 180's drilled I have seen go for around 200. Maybe a little more, little less depending on the shape of the tank. Now keep in mind, this is just the cost of the tank, no stand, lights, sand, rock, or any filtration.

I had a glass top made for my tank so the eel could not get out. You can make one out of egg crate as well if its a larger eel that wouldn't fit thru the openings.

Yeah my tank has a wood top for it so I am just a bit worried that it can escape. My lfs had said they can lift them up. My top has the back side gone so there is ventilation for the lighting, so I would have to put some sort of ventilation that will still allow air but stop him from bailing. I have very little experience with these guys and keep hearing horror stories.

I have on now and it look really happy its not aggressive at all i have 4 blue/green chromis with it and do not even "look" at those. My bloodfire shrimp is always with it and cleaning is mouth. I can even pet him without problems. Never looked at the top of the tank, my LR is set with cave and trench so a lot of hiding place is good. Mine love clams and table shrimp but dont like squid. Its a very strong fish mine is 2 1/2feet and move 20lbs rock when eating. Really nice fish i bought mine at my lfs it was in a 25-30gallons since no one wanted him :( i bought it and bring it home in my 80gallons and now have place to swim until i buy a bigger aquarium when i will move. If you have the place and the food lol go for it ! Mine live with my smaller snowflake and they go well along. Both of them love to be pet !!

I have on now and it look really happy its not aggressive at all i have 4 blue/green chromis with it and do not even "look" at those. My bloodfire shrimp is always with it and cleaning is mouth. I can even pet him without problems. Never looked at the top of the tank, my LR is set with cave and trench so a lot of hiding place is good. Mine love clams and table shrimp but dont like squid. Its a very strong fish mine is 2 1/2feet and move 20lbs rock when eating. Really nice fish i bought mine at my lfs it was in a 25-30gallons since no one wanted him :( i bought it and bring it home in my 80gallons and now have place to swim until i buy a bigger aquarium when i will move. If you have the place and the food lol go for it ! Mine live with my smaller snowflake and they go well along. Both of them love to be pet !!

I have heard they are pretty good as long as they are well fed. My main concern is him escaping as he will be in a predator tank. I didn't realize they were that strong. I may have to buy some bigger pieces of rock. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and how much does he eat? Just trying to get the more specific info I guess.

It was 250$ at my lfs but they gave me a price of 100$ since it was me and it will be in a bigger aquarium :) mine eat like 4-5 clams and some shrimp each day but i saw on some site to feed it at each 2-3 days everything it can eat

Attachments

• image-2081068926.jpg
    image-2081068926.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2604335732.jpg
    image-2604335732.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2408356473.jpg
    image-2408356473.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2951061510.jpg
    image-2951061510.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 135
I currently house a zebra with the following. Lion fish. Japanese leopard shark (banded hound shark). White spotted bamboo shark coral catshark. Blue jaw trigger. Lunar wrasse 8 different tangs. Big eye squirrel and red stripe squirrel Tusk and a few others. Blue spotted ray. He has never harmed a thing. As far as escaping make sure u have a secure lid and he should be fine. Mine is over 3ft. They do not eat fish not even silver slides. Probably the most docile eel u can get.

I currently house a zebra with the following. Lion fish. Japanese leopard shark (banded hound shark). White spotted bamboo shark coral catshark. Blue jaw trigger. Lunar wrasse 8 different tangs. Big eye squirrel and red stripe squirrel Tusk and a few others. Blue spotted ray. He has never harmed a thing. As far as escaping make sure u have a secure lid and he should be fine. Mine is over 3ft. They do not eat fish not even silver slides. Probably the most docile eel u can get.
How big of a tank do you have?! That's a lot of fish! Lol, glad to hear they at least all get along well. Any pics of your tank?? I'm trying to get some ideas for rock structure for the eels. I'm a visual learner so pics help. Thx

1000 gallons. I have my rock stacked up the muddle over flow Box. The bad part is he loves it back there so he can hide and rarely comes out. The good part is he feels comfortable and happy.

Attachments

• image-3201008800.jpg
    image-3201008800.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1672267007.jpg
    image-1672267007.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2001751807.jpg
    image-2001751807.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 99
That's a sweet setup! When we put on our addition my wife want a big tank that we can do sharks and rays in. That's a big system, I can only imagine water changes on that sucker. Thanks for the rock work pics, I'm starting to get an idea of how I'm gonna do this.

The only thing I would say is to be careful with adding Triggers or puffers with the eel. Since both types of fish are "nippers", the eels' rear areas will always be in danger of getting nibbled on.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom