Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Zebra Moray / Live Rock question

I’m working on closing a deal for a used 75 gallon system. I plan on a FOWLR set-up. I’m not 100% sure what I want as far as livestock goes except for one thing… I have always loved Zebra Morays and have never owned one. I’ve owned a snowflake and have always wanted a Zebra. Anyway, Can someone give me some cons to this eel in my FOWLR tank? I know people have said they do well in a reef-like environment, but to be cautious. Basically, I really want some nice live rock and some cool hitchhikers would be great – but, a Zebra is top priority and was curious what I’ll have to sacrifice. Are there any pros to having this species in a set-up with lr (do they eat pests – mantis shrimp and the like)? And of course – is a 75 gallon enough room for a Zebra as long as I don’t overstock with other fish and have a skimmer?

Thanks. You guys rule the school. Love this site.

- Petious Skinnious

Old 02-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the zebra moray can get almost 5' long so I say it would eventually outgrow a 75 gal tank. Live rock is a good idea, they will eat some of your hitchhikers. I have a banded eel that ate a mantis so...
As for cons, I don't see any cons if this is what you want. You state you've had an eel before so you already know how reclusive they are.

Hopefully Hara will see your thread and chime in. She has some eels and can better tell you what you need to do tank wise.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks.

I've also owned a banded. Big Moray fan.

See, I've read that Zebra's usually max out at 3' in captivity, which is why I thought I could get away with a 75 gal. Would it help, space-wise, if I forgot about the live rock and just kept it a FO tank with Zebra and I few other fish?

Thanks all.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the moray would appreciate the live rock. And it will help with filtration. The only filtration I have on my eel tank is LR and PH's. I did a quick search for the zebra moray and everything I've found says they get 4'9"-4'11". The only eel that I know of that stays around 3" is the snowflake. That's not saying their isn't more, just saying that's the only one I know of. I know my banded will eventually get 4'. He's just a youngster, around 1' right now.

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_spe...b=10&inhab=412

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=136
Old 02-19-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
I just got a snowflake , what do u keep it with ? how big is the tank? is it docile?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Snowflakes are all different...some don't even bother fish, some pick them off like a kid in a candy store. You can play it safe and just make sure the snowflake's tank mates are bigger than the snowflake's mouth (and remember, if your eel is a youngster, his mouth will get bigger). He shouldn't go after any fish that he can't swallow - don't attempt crabs or shrimp. They'll become a quick meal.

I wouldn't characterize a snowflake eel as "docile" but as long as you keep him fed and don't throw him in the tank with damsels or clowns, you should be okay for the most part. Some can even live WITH damsels or clowns so its a matter of your particular eel I guess.

- Skinny

Old 02-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
Thanx For The Info,I got my snowflake with 2 damsels a tomato clown and a royal gramma , and so far he is peaceful as long as i keep him fed with the silversides i bought him.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why wouldnt you keep a snowflake with damsels and clowns? I have mine with 2 damsels and a maroon and he is doing fine so far.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

SF eels are not big fish eaters, they are more of a shrimp eater. There teeth are different the other eels. Not saying if under fed the eel won't eat a fish.
I have had my SFE with 2 perc clowns when they were small and he has not bothered them. Also have a purple psudochromis that swims in the holes with the eel looking for his left over food and he has been around for over a year now. I also have about 12 crabs and snails in with them, no issues. Eel is about 1.5' long now. the zebra eel

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed - they are not going to pick off your tank, but they absolutely have been known to take a fish. I lost a clown to mine. They are, for the most part, going to leave them alone. I'm just saying, if hungry, and if he can fit a fish in his mouth - depending on the eel - be prepared that you may lose a small fish. That's my experience anyway.

- Skins

Tags
live, live rock, moray, rock, zebra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com