Zoanthids on live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I just noticed that I have a colony of red zoanthids that have suddenly popped up on my live rock. I dont have any stuff to take care of them though. What stuff would I need to make sure they survive? Or is it even worth the effort.

Zoa's are a nice addition to a reef setup. What type of lights do you have on your setup? You may have to do a pwc to help them to survive your cycling of your tank.

I just have normal florecent lights (for a fish only tank) and 40 lbs of live rock with two clowns. I dont think they will survive for long since i dont have the proper lighting

zoanthids are pretty hardy little guys. I agree with TC, do a couple small water changes to keep the levels from getting too crazy and they should be fine.
Alternatively you can keep them in a bucket with fresh SW and some lights till your cycle is through if you are really worried about them.

EDIT: You are done cycling though aren't you. IME zoanthids will get the light they need. I have seen them stretch up like 2 inches to get the light. They look uglier then heck, but they survive. If you aren't ready to upgrade your lights, I wouldn't worry about them.

+1 for Jimbo7. place the rock as high in your tank as possible to give the zoa's a fighting chance...

Back
Top Bottom