15 gallon stocking Aqadvisor?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshNate97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
15 gallon stocking question

Hi, I am new to aquarium advice and have a stocking question for my 15 gallon planted tank. currently, i have 5 zebra danios, 3 otocinclus, 5 ghost shrimp and two small snails. i was wondering if i could also add a school of tiger barbs. i checked Aqadvisor and it said it was fine, but im not sure. I also have an Aqueon 20 power filter and about 7 medium sized plants.

Welcome aboard! Also I think that it really depends on the number of barbs that you get and the aggressiveness of the barbs that you get.

well i was thinking five, because the aggression is nulled as you add more, so you have to balence the aggression with the stocking limit. ive been an aquarist for about 2 years, so my knowledge is limited. thanks for responding!

Welcome to AA!

As for your stocking, I would not do Tiger Barbs. They should really have a 20 gallon long tank. Really the Danios should be in a 20 gallon long too, but since you have them, they should be O.K. You might could do a school of Tetras, Rasbora, or smaller Barb. Just some examples: Cherry Barbs, Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Rasbora, etc. You could do about 8 of ONE of these species and your tank will be stocked.

On a side note, always check here before you add fish to your aquarium. Even if AqAdvisor says it is okay, that doesn't neccessarily mean it is. I learned the hard way!

that sounds good, but i just wish there was a smaller fish that had the same ka markings like the tiger barbs!

well, i decided to go with white cloud mountain minnows. they are just beautiful! i added a school of five and they love the danios. They make one large school of fish. one of my otos died though. :(

I love the White Clouds too.

Very sorry to hear about your oto. I bought 4 and within a week of purchase 2 had died. However the ones that are still remaining are hardy as can be. I think they are just a sensitive fish, so losing one was likely not your fault.

Back
Top Bottom