150g Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drosie141

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I am new to the site and hoping to get some help. I have a 150g tank that is 72"X18"x30". I am in the process of setting it up i have put in my sand and decor. I am getting my equipment through the mail this week. I have a fluval FX5 as the filter to keep water super clean. I was wondering if this stock list may work
5X Clown Loach
2X Busy Nose Plecos
6X Silver Dollars
2x Bolivian Rams
1X Blue Gourami
I would also like other fish but am looking for recomendations.
Any help is appreciated~Dave

Hi Dave, and welcome to AA!

I'm on the salty side so i can't speak to your stock list. I'm sure someone else can chime in who's got experience with freshwater.

Well you have quite a bit of room to work with. Just a heads up, there's a possibility the Gourami won't take kindly to the silver dollars, and he could take on all 6.

Clown loaches may nip at the silver dollars too, but not attack it. With the loaches, you won't want any long finned fish.

I'm guessing you meant bushy nose plecos? To make them happy, they prefer a low PH level (7.0-6.0) with a fairly strong current. You have a good tank for that, but the Fluval won't produce a good current unless you add something for water movement. Keep in mind they poop a lot, so keep up with the vacuuming.

In my opinion, you need a school of smaller sized fish to add another dimension to the tank. If you're interested, I can give you some suggestions if you give me
an idea of what you want.

Clowns will also reach a decent size, and you may not want to have 5 in a few months time.
If you want to keep the gourami and the SD, I'd say get a few more silver dollars, school of like 8-10.

I like kribensis as a safe addition to a community. Put a male and female in, they will keep to themselves, find a cave, and breed several times a year for their life. Could either keep the baby fry and sell them, or just let the tank have a tasty and healthy treat.

Have you looked into a clean up crew at all?

Thanks for all the help guys, I think ill skip the gourami. I would like to keep the loaches though which I know like to school so thats why I am planning on getting 5. I was thinking maybe another school of smaller fish, maybe hathcets if they will work I had them in the past and liked them. I like the idea of the kribs I think it will add color to the tank. I would still like a few more fish to add a little variety not just 3 schools and a couple pairs of small fish. So any suggestions along the line of single fish or fish that do well in pairs would be great. BTW I am planning on a powerhead somewhere in the tank.
Thanks again~Dave

A 150gal is just begging for some Denison Barbs. They'd work well with your stocking consideration. It's a Peaceful, active, graceful, gorgeous barb that unlike most barbs, does fine in smaller numbers. Figure as little 3 would make a nice small shoal.

Back
Top Bottom