Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
1st Tank 110 Gallon SW

I just purchased my first tank. It is 110 gallon SW with a 30 gallon sump underneath. The store set it up for me in my house. 4 days after the set up they put in a 10 inch grouper to cycle the tank. I am 4 weeks and 1 day with the grouper in the tank. PH 8.2, Ammonia is .25 ppm, Nitrite is 5 ppm and Nitrate is 10 ppm. I just added 150 pounds of dry dead rock and added back in 5 gallons of sea water purchased from the store. I have no idea what I am doing. Any idea of where I am at in my cycle????

howudoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA!

[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi and welcome to AA. I'm a relative newbie in the freshwater category, but even though u are salt, I still think you have a way to go. To the best of my understanding you are cycled when your ammo AND trites are both zero. I wouldn't think that would be different in a marine aquarium. But, if I remember your stats right, it sounds like you are on your way. It shouldn't be long before the ammo drops and the trites will just be zero one morning. You should read the articles on this forum about cycling, to understand the nitrogen cycle. Have fun with your new hobby and research all you can.
starquest is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com