2 Happy Fish/2 Happy Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2happyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

As the title says we have two fish (veil tail Betta's) 1 male-Twister, a beautiful deep blue, and 1 female pale pink with red fins-Eloise. Eloise is still a baby and is in a one gallon beta tank. Twister is currently housed in a quart vase and is looking forward to a new home. Both are healthy and happy. We have only had the Betta's a couple of days now.

The last Betta I had lived three years in a Betta bowl happy as could be. His name was Fred, and we missed him when he passed. That was several years ago, and his bowl is actually smaller than the vase Twister is currently housed in.

We came to this site looking for ideas for safe healthy care of our Betta's. My son is very curious about the care of his fish, and wants to read everything about them. He wants to put Twister in a bigger tank or vase and I encouraged him to learn more. We live in a warm climate, and are not using a heater or filter system.

We are looking at options now. My son would like to move Twister into a bigger tank and have some "fish friends". I understand this would require a filter and heater depending on the new friends. I am looking at compatibility and size requirements. I don't want Twister to end up tail-less.

You can't add anything with a "tail" to a betta tank. People have had success with neon/cardinal tetras and cory cats (and I'm sure there are others). My betta is in a 5.5gallon with a filter and heater.

What you can house with your betta also depends on the aquarium size (has to be compatible with the fish and with the tank size).

I am thinking 10 gallon or larger. I think my son has caught the "aquarium bug", and I am afraid he will want to overcrowd. Thank you RFGymnast for the tips.

Hello and welcome!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Please read this.
Bettas, like every other fish, require cycled filtered tanks. They like to be kept at 80*F. If they're too cold they can become sluggish and more susceptible to disease like fungus and bacterial infections the most common being fin rot.
If you would like to keep other fish with your Betta you are looking at a 10g tank or more. Small non nippy fish without flowing find usually make good tank mates for bettas. Keep in mind some bettas will not tolerate tank mates.
Since they are both in vases you will need to change a portion of their water daily to avoid ammonia build up.

@Mumma.of.two - Thank you for the link.

Eloise, the baby female, is in a Betta tank not a vase. Twister, the adult male is in a vase. Thank you for confirming my estimation of a 10 gallon tank or larger for Twister. I will look into a cycled filtered tank for BOTH fish, as everyone here has given the same advice.

I guess it was a fluke we had a Fred who lived to the ripe old age of 3. No fin rot, infections, fungus.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't - the female should not be a tankmate for the male! They would probably fight just like two males would. I tried it once before I knew better, and had to separate them quickly!

Back
Top Bottom