2 Year Tropical/Freshwater owner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stigmata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 Black/White Skirt Tetras in 10gal. tank that is pretty squared away with set heater, Fluval filter. I've had 2 litters, by accident & I've cured the usual red irritations Tetras get.
My other tank is a 50gal. with 4 Common Goldfish ranging from 3" to 7", and a Spotted Pleco that is a foot long. The 50gal. is new and I'm having trouble keeping it clear. Is my 50gal. too small for the fish I have? I rescued 3 of the goldfish off a parking block behind an apartment building. I have a Penn Plax Cascade 400 internal & a Whisper Flow H.O.B. combination for filters. I'm going to add another internal filter, most likely a Fluval. I've just started the 50gal. from a 20gal. after learning I've been literally cramping their lifestyles. The Pleco makes one Hell of a mess to kick up food after feeding!! I could use suggestions please!

The 50 is WAY too small for all those fish. IMO I don't even think ONE of those fish should be kept in a tank that size. However, if you post this in the Coldwater subforum, you may get some more replies.

I rescued 3 of the fish off a parking block on the way home from store. How many of them should I try to have adopted. They're huge and super healthy. Let me know if seeing a picture would help. I'll check the forum you referenced, and thanx!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, I would say all the gold fish need to go, especially if they're common gold fish and not fancy gold fish. I think common gold fish need ponds

I live in Long Beach, Ca. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really trying my best to care for these fish. I should just keep the 12" Spotted Pleco in the 50 gal. tank?

jwh0818, Thank you. I was beginning to feel helpless. How much Aquarium space is the norm for a 5" to12" fish?

Well there is no "norm" per say. When thinking about fish you need to think hard about-
*adult size
*bio-load
*aggresion needs

After this you can take into account the tank size for instance, can a 1"goldfish be kept in the same size tank as a 1" neon tetra? No. Because,

Goldfish are cold water fish, they have massive bioloads (they poop and eat tons) and they grow very big.

Neon tetras are tropical fish, they have a tiny bioload, and they need to be kept in groups of 5+ to feel safe and less stressed.

For the fish you have I recommend atleast a 125g tank because common plecos grow massive. 18+" and each goldfish is gonna reach 12" minimum if they are feeders or common goldfish.

Can you take a pic of the ones you have? What kind of goldfish are they?

picture of 50 gal. tank with 4 common goldfish & 1 spotted pleco

Here is the pic. Amonia is still high, so I've been doing 20% water changes every 2 days.:banghead:

Penn plax cascade 400 and Whisper Flow H.O.B. for now. I'm going to get a Fluval internal to add to it I think.

Back
Top Bottom