20 gallon tank for newly aquarist :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maria011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! I have 20 gallon fish tank, it's been set up for 4 days and doing fishless cycle.. I was hoping everything goes fine, but unfortunately the water is getting cloudy. As a new tank owner, is it what they called NTS (New tank syndrome)? I am excited to get my dwarf gouramis but i don't know if it's safe for them.. ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1467591626519.jpg
    1467591626519.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 106
Welcome to AA!
The cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom. What has been added to the water since it was setup?
You should get a test kit. Not the strips but a liquid based test kit complete with test tubes, caps, reagents, and color charts. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is a good one. Once the ammonia and nitrite are zero and the nitrate is elevated, then it should be safe for fish. But that is the abbreviated version. There is much more information on cycling on this forum (try the Search function). Fishless cycling can take several weeks to complete, so be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for welcoming.
For the first day of cycle I added API quick start, zyme and ph at the same day. Then after 2 days, the water was getting cloudy. I went to pet store and got the ammonia treatment, that was the advice from them and she was saying that it's NTS.
but seems getting worse tho.. and since I put the ammonia treatment, I just let my filter do its own.. and by the way, they test my water, and said it was fine? ?but I am not sure how it's look like now.

That does sound like a bacterial bloom. Happens in all tanks at the start and should clear up in a few days. I second the advice to get an API test kit and do your own testing. Patience is the key to a successful start. And be sure to read this article on fishless cycling.

Don't worry, we're here to help. (y)

Avoid adding PH products. They are a waste of money.

20g may be too small for more than one Dwarf Gourami, they are territorial to other Gouramis.

The issue you may have with your substrate is food may fall down between all the stones and rot. A gravel vac can help, but it may mess up your pattern ?

A DG will enjoy having some floating plants to feel secure. Consider adding some Guppy Grass. It's easy and can grow free floating.

You could also add Java Ferns.

I prefer live plants, and there are some easy ones out there. Plus they can help cycle your tank.

When you say you got an ammonia "treatment" from the store, what did they sell you ?

Without fish, you should be adding Ammonia, not removing it.

Enjoy your tank ! A 20g is a good size.

Here are some plant photos to inspire you

9133602e1231a9bc4ab4269fb6e00edd.jpg

0901db369796372fc7e43864f856658d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there! I didn't get gouramis as my start fish but I do have 4 dalmatian mollies and I am afraid that they keep hiding behind and inside the coral decor.. I got Api water test kit and everything was fine changed the water 50% then test it and it was fine.. why they keep hiding it's their 2nd day in my aquarium tho.. ?

Do I have to add more small fish? So they won't feel like that? Is 20gallon is way too big for 4 dalmatian mollies?

Do I have to add more small fish? So they won't feel like that? Is 20gallon is way too big for 4 dalmatian mollies?

Nah, that's a good size. Just feed them a little and they should learn it's safe. Are there plants and decorations in the tank that give them other places to hide?

I have new born fry mollies and they're 4!! What to do?

Hi there.. actually they are 16 fry now.. omg planning to move them in different tank.. I do have guppy, Molly and platys.. 6 of them couples.. and now they won't stop having babies lol...

Back
Top Bottom