20gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle_44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm new to saltwater tanks and just started my first one 2 weeks ago. At this point I have some trochus and blue hermits which both seem to be doing fine. Eventually planning on putting more along with some clownfish and some corals.

Got any pics of the tank? Lighting specs? Filtration? More details on the whole system!

I am currently using a bak Pak bio filter and skimmer and a aqualight - s. Both seem to be working really well. Love the light. Also have a small powerhead and heater. Image1487651982.753476.jpg

I just added 3 clownfish yesterday! They seem to be doing well. I fed them once and they were eating so that's a good sign. Looks like I got all juveniles so maybe I can get a breeding pair! Finger crossed.Image1487939467.351702.jpg

You'll want to remove one, clowns need to be kept to 2 at most in this size tank or they'll eventually kill one off

All small clowns are juvenile males. As they grow there will be a bit of a dominance battle and the strongest one will continue growing and turn female becoming dominant. The male will stay smaller and become sub dominant.

Yeah I knew that I was just thinking that if you had one female and two males it wouldn't be that bad.

In a large enough tank a clown harem can work but in such a small tank there isn't enough territory and the non paired up male gets singled out. You could get lucky and they could all co exist but I wouldn't count on it.

Plus with 3 fish you're close to stocked. Do you really only want 3 clowns?

Since this is my first tank, yes. My plan is to add a coral or two, like a Xenia, and learn from this tank. Once I get everything figured out I will probably move up to a larger tank.

Just wanna share this since I think it's so cool... I was watching my fish after work and unnoticed two of them together and one started shaking, like a seizure. Found it it was a show of submission but it was really cool to see.

Back
Top Bottom