A bit of advice would be appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering if anybody could give me so advice on what i could use to cover the top hole on my powerhead as i have it sat on an uplift tube from my undergravel filter but the powerhead is not sat all the way down the uplift tube as its a bit thinner than the powerhead sorry for the bad explanation any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated i will also try to post a picture so u may get a better understanding. Thanks to anyone who contributes.
I have uploaded a video but its not the best quality camera also my angelfish thought it was feedingtime and went straight infront of the camera:)

welcome to AA
So the top of the power head sticks up out of the water I assume it's sucking in lots of air,
you could use dental wax to plug the hole or stick a piece of hose in the hole and add a valve you can close or adjust the air intake

this is the type of valve I'm talking about
img_3326510_0_221b4f580512d9c81c920e82bfb8bb05.jpg

hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply i have taken a picture my issue is with the bottom of the powerhead where it is sat on the uplift tube think you can just about see the holes which suck up water i was thinking about covering them with kitchen foil or something similar but apparently this is a bad idea just wondering if u no of something similar i could use

Attachments

• 1451779320850.jpg
    1451779320850.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 80
Just a quick update to let everybody know whats in my tank not sure on the capacity its 4ft x 2ft x2ft i use an undergravel filter whith a powerhead on one of the uplift tubes standard air stone in the other uplift tube and in the tank i keep.
1 pleco large
2 clown loach 1 large 1 medium size
3 angels 1 large 2 small
1 bala shark small
And 6 cardinal tetra which are fully grown
In the tank i have artifical plats as my clown loach kept eating my live ones and a couple of rocks with tunnels for the fish to swim under i feed them on flakes and bloodworm daily.

since the other tub has a air stone , you can just remove that tube from the power head since it's submerged and not need to worry about sealing it as it won't draw air , I used those type power heads years ago very efficient,

Ok i will try this thanks a lot, but will my undergravel filter be as efficent with just an air stone on 1 side of the tank i used to have an air stone in both uplift tubes at seperate sides of the tank until i replaced 1 side with the powerhead to add a bit of a current to the water

I believe the OP is talking about the fact that the intake of the power head is not all the way in the uplift tube so it is drawing water from the tank and not all from the UG filter , I would try removing the opaque white piece and seat the power head on the clear tube . I used these for years and if it fits the clear tube , suction will keep it in place so it only draws water through the UG filter . Let us know how it goes .

Ok i see what u mean i have tried removing the white bit at the top of the tube but its still too thin to take all of the powerheads intake tube into think i will call down to the petshop tomorrow and see if they have a wider uplift tube the powerhead will fit in properly. Thanks for the reply

Try flipping the opague thingy over!
Thin end in the uplift tube and the rest should cover the powerhead intake...

I will try this before i go down to my local petshop im going to take the powerhead down to see if they have a better fit and about the rams they are very nice fish my dad has a 500gallon cichlid tank but with my tank been much smaller and also been a community tank i thought they would be very agressive towards the rest of my tank so my dad and local petshop tells me anyway and i love my clloection i have at the minute ��

All sorted thanks for all the comments the petshop had an uplift tube which the powerhead sits on perfect :)

Back
Top Bottom