A Little Fishy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 29g tank. I subscribe to a canister flow rate of 10x the tank capacity. My 302 (264gph) did the job, but I keep a good amount of media in my canister and the output flow wasn't as strong as I liked. I added a circulation pump.

Now that I have the 703(370gph) and the flow is much better and I could remove the circulation pump.

I was having some algae issues and the increased flow took care of the problem.

So in fact the smaller version filtered well but I wanted stronger output too so went bigger.

I'm a fan of splitting up filtration with 2 filters. Your total gph requirement is dependent on what you're housing and how consistent your pwc's are. Messy fish and over stocking require max gph.

If you were ever to have an issue with one of the filters, you've got backup still flowing.
Also, during routine maintenance of cleaning the filters, only clean one of the filters at a time to decrease the 'mini cycle' risk. This may not make sense, but it will later on.
Watch some you tube vids on filter maintenence when you decide on yours. We'll tell you the how to's, too. [emoji106]

370GPH canister found for 60$ us. That one you showed me... I don't know if I should go ahead and get it or if it's too little?

I'd still add a HOB with it. An Aqua Clear 70 or 110 would be a good choice. A lot of bio media can be packed in them.
Honestly, i think you'll be fine if you could find a good used, cheap Aqueon or Whisper hob with that canister... their largest gph model.

Okay I'll keep my eyes open
Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Also, I'd go bigger or add an additional filhter to a 370. I'd shoot for about 450gpm with one being a canister. I'm partial to the API XP series because I used one for 3 years and loved it. The seals are replaceable and parts are available.

Hmm okay because I saw something by the name of fluaval xs4 or 6??? Quite costly for a filter... I guess I should pay in and do it right though? 700gph too should be sufficient for an extremely clear and beautiful tank.

Hmm okay because I saw something by the name of fluaval xs4 or 6??? Quite costly for a filter... I guess I should pay in and do it right though? 700gph too should be sufficient for an extremely clear and beautiful tank.
With the right filter media, sure. 700gph is over kill if you're not going to raise messy fish though. Having/needing 10x turnover on a 20g doesn't mean it scales up. Bigger tank= less required turnover if you ask me because you have more water to dilute the toxins. For example: my 1500 gallon pond has a very high turnover rate of roughly 2x per hour since ponds should turn over 1-1.5x per hour and they're housing messy koi.

Fluval is a well known name and an excellent choice from what I've read on here. They do come with a cost and I can't much comment past that due to my lack of experience with different canisters.

You haven't answered my question though. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

I linked to a really good article on starting an aquarium that links to other articles for any detail information you might need.

With the right filter media, sure. 700gph is over kill if you're not going to raise messy fish though. Having/needing 10x turnover on a 20g doesn't mean it scales up. Bigger tank= less required turnover if you ask me because you have more water to dilute the toxins. For example: my 1500 gallon pond has a very high turnover rate of roughly 2x per hour since ponds should turn over 1-1.5x per hour and they're housing messy koi.

Fluval is a well known name and an excellent choice from what I've read on here. They do come with a cost and I can't much comment past that due to my lack of experience with different canisters.

You haven't answered my question though. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

I linked to a really good article on starting an aquarium that links to other articles for any detail information you might need.
No I don't know about the nitrogen cycle...

enrgizerbunny is giving excellent recomendations!

I have a Fluval FX-5 which I got when bought my 72G bowfront used...awesome tank and the FX-5 is an amazing awesome filter I can not recommend enough. It is a perfect sixe for that tank. They have a good warranty and the company stands behind their products, I own a zillion of them. SO, if you do spend full $ for a new product, I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Although used is good too and you can get replacement parts for maintenance and it is fairly reasonable.

The FX-5 won't leak under any normal circumstances, but follow the instructions carefully and always make sure you have the big O ring in place when you put the lid on.

One option is to get the AquaClear 110 going on the tank, and start slowly. Then keep your eyes out for the filter you really want.

Back
Top Bottom