Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by platygirl1 View Post
When having a new aquarium, maintenance is key. It is important to do weekly partial water changes to remove all algae and dirt chemicals so the fish can be happy and healthy. Having a aquarium siphon vacuum really helps take out all dirt particles in the gravel or sand. Following these tips will let your fish live in a happy, healthy environment. 🐠👍
Algae is actually beneficial and hosts beneficial microorganisms. It's just ugly.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
BTW not sure if you're aware of this but if you seed your tank you can get fish right away. Get a good amount of cycled biological media from your local fish store or another hobbyist and you can add a couple of fish right away. Just keep on top of water testing to make sure you don't get ammonia or nitrite spikes.
I think the lesson in patience is a good one for her. She likes watching me test the water and asks what the colors mean and if it is good or bad for her future fish. Besides we're headed off to vacation for 10 days so I knew we wouldn't be around to do frequent water changes/testing that with fish cycling takes. Better safe than sorry. It's much easier to deal with impatience than a broken heart.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattrah View Post
I think the lesson in patience is a good one for her. She likes watching me test the water and asks what the colors mean and if it is good or bad for her future fish. Besides we're headed off to vacation for 10 days so I knew we wouldn't be around to do frequent water changes/testing that with fish cycling takes. Better safe than sorry. It's much easier to deal with impatience than a broken heart.
Speaking of broken hearts, I hope your daughter will understand not to get too attached to the individual fish. Fish are not the most bulletproof pet, and often illness and death occur without warning.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah...we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, at least then I can say "natural causes" and not "I didn't know what I was doing and I killed it" haha.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattrah View Post
Yeah...we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, at least then I can say "natural causes" and not "I didn't know what I was doing and I killed it" haha.
I totally agree well said. I wish I had a tank aged 5 I had to wait till I could buy my own at 16 !

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com