A worried newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua newbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! After my daughter convinced me we NEEDED a couple of Nemo fish I went out and got my first ever tank. So please bear with me as I am totally clueless regarding the do's and don't within the fishworld. Now, what has baffled me is that although we clearly informed the shop where we got our tank from we still walked away from there clueless as to how to care for our fish, how to clean out the tank, how to test the water etcetc... Some people should not be working in a pet store. I know clown fish or fish in general are perhaps not like having a cuddly dog or cat, but I must admit I was a little sad to find one of our nemo's dead this morning... Turns out ph level was extremely high and the poor little one had hardly eat a thing for two weeks. Anyhow, I went to a local pet store got great info, perchased testing kit (can't believe previous shop sold us tank and fish but never mentioned the importance of testing kits!) and ph down in powder solution.

It says on the box to add 0.5units to the water. My questions are:
How much is 0.5units? I am presuming its in comparison to total units of water in the tank, but I could be wrong....? My tank holds 13liters.
Also, am I suppose to add this solution directly into the tank? I am scared the fish might swollow it?

I am sorry, these are prob really silly questions, but as I said I am new to this!

Thx in advance!

:welcome: to AA!

How did the water test? You shouldn't need to lower the ph, did you cycle the aquarium? It sounded to me like you bought the fish and tank at the same time. 13L isn't very big at all for any clown fish or any fish at all. 75L is what's recommended for the smallest clown fish but not sure on the one you have. Anyways you sure came to the right place ;) to get answers. :wave:

Last reading: GH 16d, kh 10d, ph 7.2
The PH has gone down from 7.6 after I put some PH down solution in the water yesterday.
Is this good or bad?

Aqua newbie said:
Hi all! After my daughter convinced me we NEEDED a couple of Nemo fish I went out and got my first ever tank. So please bear with me as I am totally clueless regarding the do's and don't within the fishworld. Now, what has baffled me is that although we clearly informed the shop where we got our tank from we still walked away from there clueless as to how to care for our fish, how to clean out the tank, how to test the water etcetc... Some people should not be working in a pet store. I know clown fish or fish in general are perhaps not like having a cuddly dog or cat, but I must admit I was a little sad to find one of our nemo's dead this morning... Turns out ph level was extremely high and the poor little one had hardly eat a thing for two weeks. Anyhow, I went to a local pet store got great info, perchased testing kit (can't believe previous shop sold us tank and fish but never mentioned the importance of testing kits!) and ph down in powder solution.

It says on the box to add 0.5units to the water. My questions are:
How much is 0.5units? I am presuming its in comparison to total units of water in the tank, but I could be wrong....? My tank holds 13liters.
Also, am I suppose to add this solution directly into the tank? I am scared the fish might swollow it?

I am sorry, these are prob really silly questions, but as I said I am new to this!

Thx in advance!

My first question would be how high is the pH, do you have numbers? I would really try and not use chemicals if at all possible, try water changes and re test. Also I'm assuming your doing a fish in cycle?

What size tank and how many fish are in it? Also filtration? And water flow i.e power head or heads.

Did you use live rock and sand? If so do you know how much? Like I have a bio cube 29 gallon and used 30 pounds of live rock and 25 pounds of live sand.

So... With all that said or should I say asked. I'd be happy to try and help but I need more info.

As far as caring for the fish, you feed it frozen cubes of say brine shrimp and mysis, you have a heater so they don't get cold, you do your weekly water changes.

So when you get a chance maybe you can help me help you :)

Yes we did cycle the aquarium and had it all set up for 3 week before we introduced the fish.

Aqua newbie said:
Last reading: GH 16d, kh 10d, ph 7.2
The PH has gone down from 7.6 after I put some PH down solution in the water yesterday.
Is this good or bad?

You want your pH 8.0-8.2 here's a good chart.

So your pH may have not been as high as you though. Also pH stability is key, you don't want to keep having pH swings.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Aqua newbie said:
Yes we did cycle the aquarium and had it all set up for 3 week before we introduced the fish.

Do you have pics? How much live rock? Sand? What's your flow like? Filtration etc...

Back
Top Bottom