Adventures in Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murmaider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am new to the wonderful world of saltwater aquariums. I have had various freshwater aquariums in the past but never ventured into saltwater until recently when a friend gave me a 34 gallon Red Sea Max he didn’t want anymore.

So far the experience has been fun. I did a ton of research before setting it up and learned a lot about the nitrogen cycle and bio filters. I started with a combination of live / dry rock and the tank only took about a week to cycle.

I started with my cleanup crew of a Turbo Snail, a Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs and 2 Emerald Crabs. After the tank was running for about a month I added 2 Blue Green Chromis and a Firefish.

I have been doing 10% water changes every week and testing the water conditions dutifully since the tank was setup 2 months ago. I haven’t had any major problems except one of my Peppermint Shrimp killing my turbo snail (and being subsequently returned to the LFS) and some algae growth. I just added 3 Astraea Snails and cut the light back from 12hrs a day to 11 to combat the algae growth on the walls.

Eventually I want to add some corals, but I may just stick with FOWLR for a while. I have some starfish that I received as hitchhikers, a little Chocolate Star, 2 Striped Brittle Stars and some Asterinas. I have read that they will eat corals, but my GF loves them so I may keep them and hold off on corals.
Here is what the tank looks like currently after 2 months (with all the algae on the walls)…
img_3292912_0_1c588981ccd6e675165324aa37b90851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good start! Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom