Advice for a small tank...2 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nao

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
I'm a total newbie so I appreciate any advice. I picked up a small aquarium at a garage sale which I am planning on setting up in my daughters room. She is two years old so I want to keep it pretty easy and low maintenance if possible.
I did an inventory of everything that came with the tank...here it is...
The tank itself
Light aqua tank model 202 with blue bulb
2 aerators? AQT elite 3001 & Elite 801 plus tubing and tips
Treasure chest with air tube
Fake castle ruins, fake coral, plastic flower
Goldfish food (flake & pellets)
Water conditioner
The magnet for cleaning the glass "mag float"
A black hexagonal plate with a half inch or so tube coming upward...I am guessing this is for going under the rocks? Not sure how to hook up the air tubes to the larger tube...

No filter

So...any suggestions for colorful, easy fish/shrimp/frogs, etc for this small tank? Do I need a filter??
Thanks in advance...
Naomi

Hello, I would recommend a filter for almost any tank, but that is just me. There are so many different kinds of shrimp you could put in there. I attached a link for the shrimp
Live Aquaria

:)

:welcome: to AA! :)
That thing with the tubes sticking out of it is a UGF (undergravel filter) but it's not the best, I would invest in an AquaClear 20 or something of the sort.
Your stocking options are really limited in a two gallon, I'd say maybe a nano tank with shrimps and snails.

There are plenty of awesome shrimp to go in there! I'm pretty sure that there are no fish that can be in there. But you could have a bunch if shrimp:). There's more than just the ghost shrimp, such as cherry, yellow, mandarin, etc. A good place to check out is www.planetinvert.com

Personally, I would forget the UGF and go with the Cascade 170 internal filter. It's about the size of an ipod nano. Great for anything 1-5 gal. As for stocking, I think two male guppies would be fine. Make sure you don't get females or you'll have babies in no time and be overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom