Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Advice for a small tank...2 gallons?

Hi guys,
I'm a total newbie so I appreciate any advice. I picked up a small aquarium at a garage sale which I am planning on setting up in my daughters room. She is two years old so I want to keep it pretty easy and low maintenance if possible.
I did an inventory of everything that came with the tank...here it is...
The tank itself
Light aqua tank model 202 with blue bulb
2 aerators? AQT elite 3001 & Elite 801 plus tubing and tips
Treasure chest with air tube
Fake castle ruins, fake coral, plastic flower
Goldfish food (flake & pellets)
Water conditioner
The magnet for cleaning the glass "mag float"
A black hexagonal plate with a half inch or so tube coming upward...I am guessing this is for going under the rocks? Not sure how to hook up the air tubes to the larger tube...

No filter

So...any suggestions for colorful, easy fish/shrimp/frogs, etc for this small tank? Do I need a filter??
Thanks in advance...

Nao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I would recommend a filter for almost any tank, but that is just me. There are so many different kinds of shrimp you could put in there. I attached a link for the shrimp
Live Aquaria

[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!
That thing with the tubes sticking out of it is a UGF (undergravel filter) but it's not the best, I would invest in an AquaClear 20 or something of the sort.
Your stocking options are really limited in a two gallon, I'd say maybe a nano tank with shrimps and snails.
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
There are plenty of awesome shrimp to go in there! I'm pretty sure that there are no fish that can be in there. But you could have a bunch if shrimp. There's more than just the ghost shrimp, such as cherry, yellow, mandarin, etc. A good place to check out is www.planetinvert.com
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Personally, I would forget the UGF and go with the Cascade 170 internal filter. It's about the size of an ipod nano. Great for anything 1-5 gal. As for stocking, I think two male guppies would be fine. Make sure you don't get females or you'll have babies in no time and be overstocked.
125 malawi cichlid, 110 Discus, 75 reef, 30 reef, 27 reef, 4 planted
herp_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the advice!

Nao is offline   Reply With Quote

2 gallon, small tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com