Advice please, am new fish keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all from Sunny Scotland,
I have had a tropical aquarium for 3 weeks now, i have 2 male guppys, 2 mollys (1 male & i female) and 3 plates (2 females & 1 male).
I noticed 2 days ago there were 2 fry, i havent saw them since yesterday, should i have taken them out of tank? :(
Will i need to get a smaller tank for fry with heater? I currently have a 30 gallon tank. I think fry from plate, but not sure. Fish seem lively and healthy.
As i am new to this, any advice on keeping the fish and tank healthy is welcome, also any other tips.
I am feeding them tropical flakes, water was cloudy but got drops for this & its fine now. How many fish should i keep in this size of tank?
This site is very interesting.
Thanks Papa06. :D

Welcome to AA :)

Setting up a fry grow-out tank is completely up to you. You can either let nature take its course, possibly providing some cover for the fry if you want to keep some, or you can go the grow out route and set up a new tank.

It sounds as if you did not cycle the tank though. Based on the fact that it's 3 weeks old and you're also experiencing cloudy water. Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

Thanks Jonathon, the tank was cycled for 1 week before putting any fish in, this was what i was advised by the aquarium.
hat is your advice on how often to feed them, also how often to clean or change filter?

I would feed them no more than once a day. As far as cleaning the filter, just rinse off the pad or sponge in the water you take from doing a water change.

Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? It sounds like your shop has misled you a little in what it takes to cycle an aquarium. Here's a good thread on the subject that most of us have experienced when first getting in to the hobby... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

the store told me 2 fill the tank put on the filter and after 1 week just add the fish.thanx for ur help .all the fish seem health and very active

Back
Top Bottom