Algae eater just died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rkdanger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank is 2 months old. Have 2dwarf frogs,3 guppies,2 Cory cats, heater, filtered, live plants. Got brownish algae and added an algae eater. Something with bristles in the name. Floated him and he did great for 24 hours. He just up and died. All the others are doing fine. .???

I'm assuming the tank is cycled?
Can we get your water parameters please?
Also, other people are going to come and tell you that floating a fish is not good enough acclimation so that might be the cause.

Not sure what cycled is. Plan to take some water and my dead fish back to the store in the am

A tank has to go through a cycle before it is safe for fish, it is the process of gaining beneficial bacteria that convert the toxic ammonia into nitrites (not good either) and then converting that into nitrates. This can be done in one of two ways, a fishless cycle or a fish-in cycle. Some ammonia source has to be added to get the bacteria.

So now I'm assuming that the tank is not cycled?

As in Springfield Missouri? Lol
And ok hold on I'll get you the link to a page here on AA that will be really helpful

Wow that's awesome. I'm assuming you've been to my profile lol. But anyways, after you read that article let me know what questions you have. Do you have a test kit?

Great. You should probably do a large water change as soon as you can until we can figure out those water parameters

Back
Top Bottom