algae eater not getting food as goldfish get in there first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly cat lady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'd like some advice please for my brother and his tank. He has 120 litre tank, with 3 goldfish and 1 algae eater. The fish are about a year old. The algae eater was added last week. They are fed once a day and he does fortnightly water changes. The goldfish are fed flakes and he has algae wafers for the algae eaters. But when ever he feeds them the fish eat there own food and then go straight to the wafers and eat them. He's worried that the algae eater isn't getting any food. Any ideas? Thanks

Any chance at separating the two species? Or getting a larger tank?

Algae eaters are mostly nocturnal, whereas goldfish are far more active during the day. Drop the algae wafers in right before you turn the lights out, and the algae eater should be able to eat in peace. If you are really worried, you can drop a couple in different places around the tank to make sure he finds them. Even place one in a cave where the goldfish can't easily get to it, especially if you want to give him something to snack on during the day. Just make sure to remove any leftovers daily, preferably morning and night, to avoid fouling the water. Placing the algae wafers in only a half at a time will help reduce waste.

I have noticed that my algae eaters (Chinese Algae Eaters) are extremely social with one another. Getting a few more to create a group of about 5, or more if space allows, will help curb aggression issues when they get older, and they will also help each other find food by following each other around while foraging. I am only mentioning aggression issues because Chinese Algae Eaters, specifically, are known to get nasty with other fish as they grow. And they can grow a lot. Having a few more around will help them keep the scrapping within their own group.

Any idea what species of Algae Eater you have? Or, if not, do you have photos?

If you do have a Chinese Algae Eater, it may be wise to bring him back to the store. I love them, but they can cause problems, and they need a lot of space to themselves as they mature. There's really no need for an Algae Eater of any kind in a Goldfish tank, anyway. As you can see, they do most of the eating themselves. Algae wafers are appreciated by them, too, so you don't have to worry about wasting the food that you bought :)

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it on to my brother. This is him. I'm not sure what type he is.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160714_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20160714_0002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 140
I can't tell for sure from the picture, but I'd say it's a good possibility he's a Chinese Algae Eater. You can Google different types of Algae Eaters if you don't think this is him, but here's lots of good information on this particular species. If you can get a slightly better photo, someone will be able to definitely confirm it for you.
Chinese Algae Eater, Sucking Loach, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri

Back
Top Bottom