Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae help!

Ok...i have 2 goldfish in a 15 gallon tank. After leaving the light on for about 8 hrs one day i had a lot of algae. It is kinda greenish yellowish. I did some research on how to get it out. I did about 3-4 25% water changes, i bought some Tetra Water Clarifier and Tetra Easy Balance to help my alkalinity.

Right now im doing a blackout...i have to towels over the aquarium....is this the best thing to do?

Once the algae is gone should i get a weaker light or is there a kind of light anyone reccomend? im totally devoted to these fish to the point where i got up at like 1 in the morning to do a water test and to make sure the water was safe. Before i began the blackout i did a water test to make sure the water is safe.

Also...my alkalinity is low...how do i raise it? its about 35-40 and i need it higher for my fish.
The box that i test the water with say to add Tetra Easy Balance..but it didnt work....it only helps the ph level a little bit...

I NEED HELP!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To many goldfish for that tank. They have a large bio load so a 30g aquarium is better because of the increase in water volume.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

for 2 comet goldfish?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
to AA!

Your tank is overstock believe it or not. It may not seem like it ... but goldfish have huge bioloads so they really dirty up their water... and comet goldfish really belong in a pond rather than a tank. The general rule is 20gal for the first, 10gal for each additional. I know ... a big contrast to the dozens of goldfish you see in a tank at LFS's. If you can upgrade to a 29 gal that would be easier for you.

As for Alkalinity ... If your fish have been fine and healthy thus far ... don't mess with it. Trying to achieve that "ideal" level we'll read about can lead to pH fluctuations which will make algae the least of your problems.
I agree with your don't add extra chemicals to raise alkalinity / pH ... there are natural alternatives like crushed corals / limestone in a media bag.

For now, continue with the blackout for a few days and PWC's. Algae grow from excess nutrients and light. Is there usually any uneaten food that remains? That along with their bioloads could be a source of the nutrients .. PWC's will help. As for the lights ... consider going on a 4hr on 4hr off cycle, many members have had success with this.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

hmmm....i really dislike petco...they told me that 2 fish are fine...but i used to overfeed them....last week but now i started giving them smaller portions.

i have a topfin power filter right now and even before i had the fish the water would get cloudy...i still dont think the fish are overcrowded yet...maybe when they get bigger.

Im looking at getting a better filter....or should i use both filters?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar234 View Post
for 2 comet goldfish?
no,2 comets need a lot more than that,like 55 gallons a fish i think
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

i really dislike petco....
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
hmmm....i really dislike petco...they told me that 2 fish are fine...but i used to overfeed them....last week but now i started giving them smaller portions.

i have a topfin power filter right now and even before i had the fish the water would get cloudy...i still dont think the fish are overcrowded yet...maybe when they get bigger.

TopFin makes junk filters (in my opinion) I use a Marineland 350 Bio-Wheel and recommend them for anyone using a 55g Tank. It works great. I also use a UGF with 2 blowers on each back corner of the tank.

My 55g is on the break of overstock, but I have 2 different plecos, and another algae eater, so the tank very rarely has algae on it. Then again, I don't have gold fish. Gold fish are nasty, can be very pretty, but nasty.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

so what kind of freshwater fish are not so nasty?

and should i get a algae eater or a snail?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:

Many members run two filters .. which should help. Ideally you want GPH to be more than 5x the volume of the tank ... some members go as high as 10x ... for your tank that's = 150gph. I would say your next filter should be one to handle a 40gal tank.

It's not so much overcrowding as it is overstocking. The difference comes down to keeping the water as clean as possible. When fish put out more waste than the water volume / filtration can handle then your basically overstocked. That usually requires much more work (PWC's) to maintain pristine water. It's not always necessarily size ... but yes as they do get larger they'll put out more waste. You may be ok for now ... but that'll only go as far as they're growth rate.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com