Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy all my Kids are dead!

I don't even know where to post this; I followed the advice of the experts to the T... I had green water - was told by a number of folks to do a 50 - 75% change and refill then cover the aquarium to let no light in at all for two to three days. Today was the 48 hour point so I took off the cover and everyone in my formerly happy family is floating. I am heartbroken. that's all, broken in many pieces one for each of my babies.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry to hear that... did you cycle your tank previously to adding fish?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthadtobin
I don't even know where to post this; I followed the advice of the experts to the T... I had green water - was told by a number of folks to do a 50 - 75% change and refill then cover the aquarium to let no light in at all for two to three days. Today was the 48 hour point so I took off the cover and everyone in my formerly happy family is floating. I am heartbroken. that's all, broken in many pieces one for each of my babies.
:'( welcome to AA. I'm so sorry that happened. Happened to me once too.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

no, the tank wasn't cycled (didn't know anything about that when I started the tank); it's been up and running with everyone happy since February then in the past month or so I just couldn't keep the water clear. I changed out the water twice with both a filter change and a new pump set up but the water didn't change at all. I just needed to share it with other fish lovers; no one understands here why I am crying. thank you.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about your losses. Blackout shouldn't have been an issue in the deaths since the filter is the main tool to keep your fish healthy (food too ).

Generally, I recommend multiple 10% PWC over several days to help clear GW. Here's a link if you're still having issues.

http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/...um/#greenwater
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
:'( welcome to AA. I'm so sorry that happened. Happened to me once too.
and you managed to live through it to have great success so I quess I'll take it as a learning experience but it stinks.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthadtobin
no, the tank wasn't cycled (didn't know anything about that when I started the tank); it's been up and running with everyone happy since February then in the past month or so I just couldn't keep the water clear. I changed out the water twice with both a filter change and a new pump set up but the water didn't change at all. I just needed to share it with other fish lovers; no one understands here why I am crying. thank you.
It really does stink. think of it this way though, now you can start out right, and help rescue more babies from uncycled tanks. it still sucks though.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry to hear that.
Sometimes it just happens.
It doesn't bring them back but you can start a fresh now. Get the tank cycled and enjoy fishing again.
Best of luck
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry about your fishys
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry to hear about your fish. When you did a filter change, did you keep any media that had bacteria on it? If not you may have just restarted your nitrogen cycle, so even though the tank eventually cycled itself with fish living in there, the second round of cycling from taking away the established filter could have been too stressful.

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com