all my Kids are dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marthadtobin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't even know where to post this; I followed the advice of the experts to the T... I had green water - was told by a number of folks to do a 50 - 75% change and refill then cover the aquarium to let no light in at all for two to three days. Today was the 48 hour point so I took off the cover and everyone in my formerly happy family is floating. I am heartbroken. that's all, broken in many pieces one for each of my babies.

I'm sorry to hear that... did you cycle your tank previously to adding fish?

marthadtobin said:
I don't even know where to post this; I followed the advice of the experts to the T... I had green water - was told by a number of folks to do a 50 - 75% change and refill then cover the aquarium to let no light in at all for two to three days. Today was the 48 hour point so I took off the cover and everyone in my formerly happy family is floating. I am heartbroken. that's all, broken in many pieces one for each of my babies.

:'( welcome to AA. I'm so sorry that happened. Happened to me once too. :(

no, the tank wasn't cycled (didn't know anything about that when I started the tank); it's been up and running with everyone happy since February then in the past month or so I just couldn't keep the water clear. I changed out the water twice with both a filter change and a new pump set up but the water didn't change at all. I just needed to share it with other fish lovers; no one understands here why I am crying. thank you.

marthadtobin said:
no, the tank wasn't cycled (didn't know anything about that when I started the tank); it's been up and running with everyone happy since February then in the past month or so I just couldn't keep the water clear. I changed out the water twice with both a filter change and a new pump set up but the water didn't change at all. I just needed to share it with other fish lovers; no one understands here why I am crying. thank you.

It really does stink. :( think of it this way though, now you can start out right, and help rescue more babies from uncycled tanks. :( it still sucks though. :(

Sorry to hear that.
Sometimes it just happens.
It doesn't bring them back but you can start a fresh now. Get the tank cycled and enjoy fishing again.
Best of luck :)

Sorry to hear about your fish. When you did a filter change, did you keep any media that had bacteria on it? If not you may have just restarted your nitrogen cycle, so even though the tank eventually cycled itself with fish living in there, the second round of cycling from taking away the established filter could have been too stressful.

Sorry to hear about your fish. When you did a filter change, did you keep any media that had bacteria on it? If not you may have just restarted your nitrogen cycle, so even though the tank eventually cycled itself with fish living in there, the second round of cycling from taking away the established filter could have been too stressful.

This is a really good point, really sorry to hear about your fish. Just think though that you can now start a fresh and now you can get plenty of advice from this forum!

Back
Top Bottom