Almost ready!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been lurking around here for about a month now. Reading posts and getting the lingo down. Thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I got bit by the aquarium bug about 5 weeks ago, when I was helping my 10 year old son set up a 10g freshwater tank as a replacement for the the two Afircan frogs that the four year old threw out of the window. (It was not a pretty scene....prying the 10 yr old hands from around the others neck.....but I digress.)

After researching the aquarium a little, I found that I was probably more interesed in it than my son.

I have thought about a saltwater aquarium in the past, but it always seemed to get pushed back. (Saltwater because...I am an avid offshore and inshore fisherman....Sorry PITA)

I am a structural engineer by trade and tend to research everything a little before jumping in....so here I am standing on the brink of doing something either really stupid or absolutely amazing. (I prefer the latter.)

Our closest LFS is in Columbia, SC. (Fishy Business) They have a very good reputation and the only thing left for me to do is to take them a sample of my water.......well water. We live about 55 miles from Fishy Business, and I intend to make up my on water if at possible. (Would love advice from those who have well water on this subject.)

I am looking at a tank right now that is 150 gal. The craigslist advertisment is below. I would love to have some feedback from those who have gone the route of buying a somewhat established tank, and adding to it.

Link to the tank for sale:

150 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium complete w/rock, fish corals

If this is the wrong place to post this let me know, or the admin could just move it down to one of the Saltwater Forums.

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to AA! :)

That seems a bit high to me for that system, but it does vary by area. The best advice that I can offer is to try to not be in a rush (easy to say, tough to do). Stalk CL, ask your LFS, watch classifeds, etc. Nothing good happens quickly in aquaria.

LOL @ flying frogs and choking siblings.

Spoke with the guy tonight and the tank is 150g custom acrylic. Tank was made in 2000 and ran for one year, put into storage from 2001 to 2008, and has been up and running since.

Tank is stable....skimmer is a AETech ETSS 800XR that was bought new in 2008. The skimmer has the large waste add on feature. The chiller was serviced in 2008.

It has a good many soft corals a some live stock. The rock was originally purchased from Tampa Bay Rock if that means anything. It has probably around a 40g sump with no refugium.

I plan on looking at the tank in person this Thursday. Please look at the ad......and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Do I need to move this to the saltwater forum?

Not sure how I got the alien in the post....but cool!

Thanks for the welcome!:D

I have moved some of this thread into a new post on the "Saltwater and Reef Getting Started Board". I will continue commenting on it there.

Looking forward to the hobby!

Welcome. That's too bad about the African frog. At least your 4 yrs did not shove the frog down their pants.

Back
Top Bottom