Always dreaming bigger.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Fish Babies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fellow fish lovers,:fish2:
Well I found this forum accidentally last night mainly because my cable was out and I decided to do a bit of fish research on line. What a great place this is to hang out and so full of information.
My name is Joe. I am 42 and live in Indianapolis Indiana. Lets see......My fish story started out about 5 years ago. I was in pet smart buying dog food and I wandered into the fish section (knowing in the back of my mind I was wanting to eventually adopt gold fish) I kinda was naive and like many of us do at first took the advice of my sales person as the word of GOD. I went home with a 15 gallon Biorb tank and two Black Moors. These tanks are really cool for those who may not know about them. Very pretty and decorative. Needless to say within a two year period my two Fancy Gold fish out grew their little biorb. As I did more research I realized what a horrible mistake I had made putting two Moors in a 15 gallon tank. (Now they were small at first so it seemed like a good idea at the time). A birthday rolled around for me and as a Happy Birthday to me present I upgraded to a 29 gallon. Again from pet smart (which is really my go to pet store for every thing?) Its what I could afford and would fit. I became fish euphoric and upon better judgement added another goldfish a telescope this time and a pleco about six months later. Man do these little guys grow.....and grow.......and grow........NOW I am in the market and have a potential 60 gallon in the works fingers crossed. I am pretty sure I will be maxed out at 60 but those were my thought with the original 15 gallon as well. I am very diligent with my tank changing water 20 to 40 percent every monday. I am a test strip guy (I know I kept reading how bad they are last night on here). My pockets are small but my heart is big for all creatures. I hope the bigger tank comes through for me. I don't plan on adding any more fish just want to give the ones I have the best quality of life they can have. BTW I didn't go with gold fish because they are easy! (they are so not easy to keep) They remind me of my Grandparents. I remember them having two 30 gallon tanks overstocked and looked like swamps. Every time we would win a fish at a fair or carnival Grandpa would add them to his tank. In fact he never had anything but feeder fish in his tanks maybe TMI. But I think subconsciously this is where my aquatic love comes from. Wow I have rambled and digressed here. Thanks for having me. I will be lurking in the shadows on a reg basis.

Welcome to AA! I'm glad you love your animals... Its so sad to see when people do not care for the welfare of their animals just because they are "stupid fish". Good for you!!!

Well Thanks Guys and Gals......
@Hobgob not to get off topic but, I would prefer to do a fish-less cycle. I am still a bit confused by it all. There are so many opinions and advice to consider. When I moved from the 15 gal to the 29. I set up the new tank let it run for one week. Then when I did water changes from the 15 I always put the water into the 29. On week two I transferred over most of the lava rocks and gravel to the new tank. Week three I moved over the decorations. I kept squeezing out the old filter into the new tank each week as well. Chemically I used prime and stress zyme. week four I moved over My moores and began to add stress coat. I am sure I went about it the wrong way but, The only health issue that I had was a case of ICK about three weeks after the move. I used salt to treat them and it worked out better then any chemical I had previously tried.

Salt and heat is one of the best treatment for ich. The beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces not so much in the water. But I no what you mean about fishless. I myself prefer to just take a filter from an established tank and just go from there. As long as you monitored the water condition it would have been fine.

Back
Top Bottom