Angle fish with mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sturgeon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I am new to this forum but i have a question. I currently have 1 molly and 3 platies I also have a red tail shark and a Pleco Algae Eater. I am looking to add 2 angel fish, just wondering if this is a bad idea or should the coexist?

Thank you for any advise

They should be fine. The red tail shark is the biggest concern. What's your tank size?

Ok. If you get two angels in that size I would get a male and a female. Two males you might get aggression. Or you could go one Angel. My personal experience with a red tail shark wasn't good and I never got one again....not to say you will have the same problem as some fish are different. In my case he was very territorial and went after anything that came within half of my 29g tank. They are fast and aggressive.

Ok. If you get two angels in that size I would get a male and a female. Two males you might get aggression. Or you could go one Angel. My personal experience with a red tail shark wasn't good and I never got one again....not to say you will have the same problem as some fish are different. In my case he was very territorial and went after anything that came within half of my 29g tank. They are fast and aggressive.
Just goes to show how even fish have their own personality. I had a red tail that stayed in and around a large castle. If a fish got too close it would dart towards them a few inches and thats about it. Then turn around and go back to nibbling around the castle and gravel for food.

I agree with you though. Knowing they can be aggressive, I couldn't recommend one, with that stock and that size tank.

My red tail seems pretty mellow I have a large structure that he and the Algi eater and a rock shrimp use. He does not bother the molly or platies at all. Will one angel fish be the better choice or do the perfer pairing?

My red tail seems pretty mellow I have a large structure that he and the Algi eater and a rock shrimp use. He does not bother the molly or platies at all. Will one angel fish be the better choice or do the perfer pairing?
I've kept just one with no problems. If you pair up with male and female expect to deal with fry.

What about 2 females? I am not stoked on fry as I had a male molly and female that every other month it seems that there where fry but none ever survived. I did not move them in to a nursery as I did not feel like a tank full of mollies. That beening said if a male and female pairing will work better to keep the aggression down I can deal with more fry in the tank

Let me know your thoughts
And thanks again for the info

for that many fish you need at least a 46 gallon but a 55 gallon would be better

Two females should be ok. Two males could be ok but it really depends on the individual fish. If they respect each other's territory.

Back
Top Bottom