another Forum Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese299

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
Looks like a great site and I'm anxios to investigate it more. I've had fish in my house/dorm/life for over 20 years now <yikes>. I've been housing some gold fish won at the local county fair for my daughter in a 55 gallon tank for about 2 years now and they recently passed away (can I be happy about that?) and am looking to get into a 'real' set up with a tank like the first one I was exposed too. It's set to include a Pleco, rainbow shark (maybe 2), 1 silver catfish, 3 or 4 angel fish, (stripped only - not white or marble :cool:), a cory cat and some zebras or neons for color and movement. Suggestions to add or later this would be welcome.

I'm looking for advice on chemicals to use for tank set up and general advice - suggestions on the best forum to visit for that would be apprecaited!

Thanks!

Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

It'd probably be a good idea to make a new thread in the "Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion" forum with your specific questions.

Welcome to the forum!

The best forum for you to post would be the Freshwater Getting Started forum.

The only chemical or additive you will need is a dechlorinator. I prefer Prime, it is a site favorite. For more in depth information, post a topic in the Getting Started Forum and you'll surely become flooded with responses. :)

WELCOME TO AA!!!

(come over to the "saltie" side)! LOL!

Thanks All!

I guess I didn't realize the power of the 'salt' side... :hat:

Thanks for the warm welcome! As for salt water, I have a hard enough time keeping a fresh water in shape - I think a salt water tank would be the death of me :cool:.

Perhaps one day I'll sucumb to the salt side...

<I know - that's lame...>

Reese299

Welcome to AA!!!!

I just wanted to jump in and add some info on your fish selection real quick. (I would do as others have suggested and make a post in the general FW area for better responces if you haven't already)

Two rainbow shark's in a 55 is pushing it a little bit. They need/take a lot of room for there home and having two of them will most likely result in fighting over area's.

The silver shark, assuming a catfish?, is not for a freshwater aquarium even though they sell them as such. When they are young, they are truely FW, but as they age, they need to be adjusted to brackish water and then to full SW to thrive. I bet the LFS didn't tell you that one!

Cory's really need to be in groups of around 6 to be stress free. Adding only one is not a good idea IMO. You have plenty of room to house 5 or 6 of them with the 55 gallon tank.

BTW, FW is just as much fun as SW. Don't let them brain wash you! :D

Last edited:
RKilling is correct, FW is just as much fun as SW. And you can make it just as difficult if you get into high light planted tanks where you are dosing ferts daily and the such. Get comfortable with FW and how the hobby works before diving into SW.

Welcome to AA! While I do love the look of SW tanks I haven't ventured there either. I can attest that if you do go planted FW the rewards are well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom