Another new guy:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islayedgoliath

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not too sure what to say about myself other than I love fish!
I was wondering what DIY filter would be ideal for a 2.5 gallon tank. I know it's a small tank, but don't worry I'm not going to overstock it. I have a 30g tank but I don't have the money to fill it. My plan is to start small and work to the 30g. So yeah. Hi everyone :)

I'm not too sure what to say about myself other than I love fish!
I was wondering what DIY filter would be ideal for a 2.5 gallon tank. I know it's a small tank, but don't worry I'm not going to overstock it. I have a 30g tank but I don't have the money to fill it. My plan is to start small and work to the 30g. So yeah. Hi everyone :)

There aren't many fish you can put in a 2.5 gallon. You'd be better off saving up and setting up the 30 gal. For filtering the 2.5 gallon pick up a nano HOB filter. Or run a small sponge filter hooked up to an airpump.

Honestly though, besides a betta and maybe a couple of shrimp you don't have a ton of options in a tank that small.

Yeah I was planning on just having those fish then move to a 10g when I acquire enough money. Thank you. I think I'll make a small sponge filter.

Welcome! :) You're getting your MTS (multiple tank syndrome) going on, I see! I'm interested to watch your progress on your DIY sponge filter.

Honestly, a store bought sponge filter would be better than a home made one and would work more effectively and efficiently. Sponge filters the size required for a 2ish gallon tank are four dollars and under. Isn't it worth four dollars to make sure your fish has a superior end product? I think it is.

Please use a store bought sponge filter and air pump. That's my recommendation.

Honestly though, the more I think about it, I think a nano HOB would be better. It will disturb the surface of the water less than the sponge filter, allowing the betta to make a bubble nest. (a bit of hornwort floating in the tank would help him do this)

You could use one of these filters:
http://www.bigalspets.com/nano-aquarium-filter.html

Or one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Pro...84288791&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+nano+filter

All three options (sponge, internal, HOB) are viable. All 3 (incl air pump for sponge filter option) will cost you $15-20 all-in.

Don't forget to cycle your tank (using the fishless method where you add ammonia, which is the most humane method) before you put fish in.

Back
Top Bottom