Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamma_draconis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I've been scanning the posts here over the past few days and am truly impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of all the members here.

I'm a newbie to this site but also a new home aquarist as well. In fact I haven't even begun my first tank yet but I'm planning for it. I've worked as an intern in the aquarist department at the Baltimore Aquarium, however, so I have experience on that scale. I gotta say that trying to translate some of those skills to the home aquarium is proving difficult.

I'm mostly interested in freshwater at this point so I'm going to post something in Getting Started there to ask the questions I have about, well, getting started.

Thanks for letting me join your little community here. I look forward to becoming a full-fledged aquarist.

:D

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle you tank with live animals.

So you are from the MD area? Check out our regional forums. We have been planning trips to LFS. Next month we are heading to the Richmond, Va area, but soon after that we are probably heading to a few in MD.

+++EDIT+++
How rude of me, you are more than welcome to come with us to Richmond....

Hi, thanks for the welcomes!

Please do not cycle you tank with live animals.

I most certainly plan to do a fishless cycle. I know all too much about the nitrogen cycle to do anything else.

So you are from the MD area?

While I used to live in MD (Takoma Park), I'm now a Boston resident. There's a little LFS down the street from my house but I don't entirely trust it (which is probably a healthy attitude towards LFS's). So thanks for the invite but I don't think I can join you. :D Maybe if I'm ever in town visiting...

LOL! Yeah Boston would be a little bit of a hike. Have you been back to the B-More Aquarium since they finished the new building? There is a thread, in the lounge that has some pics.

Welcome to AA :D Surprised interning at the Baltimore Aquarium hasn't made you want a SW tank.

tecwzrd said:
urprised interning at the Baltimore Aquarium hasn't made you want a SW tank.
I was thinking the same thing.

let me also welcome you to the community. when i came here, i had a lot of outdated information from the 1990's, and everyone has been very helpful filling me in on the changes in the hobby. you can go in so many different directions, and i'm sure there will be lots of attractive avenues for you to explore. :)

Have you been back to the B-More Aquarium since they finished the new building?

Unfortunately I haven't been back since. I left right before they began construction on it. I've seen it from the outside but haven't had a chance to tour it yet. I hear it's stunning. I guess it's getting "old" now and hardly is "new" but still I'd love to go sometime soon.

As for having a SW tank. The tanks I worked with primarily at NAIB (National Aquarium in Baltimore) were the Amazon River Forest tanks and I just fell in love with all those fish. From plecos, to corys, to discus, you name it, I love them. I would also love to have a SW tank someday but my first priority is definitely a FW.

Cool, us "salties" will be waiting...Although, I don't think for too long. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom