Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Another newbie to this site

My name is Carol. I am a nurse and have had fish since I was a young girl. I have had multiple tanks in the past but have just recently acquired a 36 gallon bow front and have started this tank fresh. I ordered each piece separately- added all the "starter" ingredients and currently have 6 fish in that tank. Shortly after I got the fish I got a terrible case of ich. I have lost 3 fish now. I have tried raising the temp, the methelyn blue treatment, the natural treatment (which states it can take up to 5 weeks to clear), I have followed all the directions and thought the tank was totally cleared of it, made a partial water change and today one of my mollies died. My kissing gourami looks sickly- very white- not like my pink ones of the past. I am getting frustrated. I still have my 20 gallon operational and will not move more fish into the big tank until I get this figured out. I ordered from DrsFosterandsmith-their remedy for ich which should be arriving tomorrrow (I hope). I am depending on this forum to give me more advice and appreciate any help you can give me!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to 43Gallons
Talking

Hi! Welcome to AA first of all! It is fantastic that you care about your fish so much! Not to worry - All the AA guys will get you squared away ASAP. I wish I had some advice to offer, but unfortunately, or fortunately I suppose, I have never had to treat an illness in my fish, so I know little about it.
Anyhoo, one of the big dogs will be here soon enoughto help you out!

If I have helped you in any way, please add to my reputation. If I have said anything incorrect or offended you, please tell me! (To add reputation, click the white scales in the bottom left corner of this post.)
43Gallons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome make a post in the freshwater unhealthy fish section to get a fast reply
Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to AA.raising the temp(not sure how high) and adding salt(again,not sure how much) can cuer ich.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like a tough start. Did you cycle the tank before you added fish and how do you test your water?

If it's still newish, I'd suggest 2 things, 1 read the link below for cycling with fish and 2, get an API FW Master test kit.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! I agree with Mr. Limpet, the best thing to do now is to treat it, and in the future set up a quarantine tank if you're going to add any more fish to your tank.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like a tough start. Did you cycle the tank before you added fish and how do you test your water?

If it's still newish, I'd suggest 2 things, 1 read the link below for cycling with fish and 2, get an API FW Master test kit.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Thanks for the advise- I will get the kit you suggested and start testing! I find fish keeping very relaxing except if the fish are sick, dying or being attacked!
Will keep you updated. I did acquire some very healthy looking fish from an ad on craigs list but I took your advice and added them to the quaruntene tank. They are doing just fine there. Now I have to wait and add them slowly to the larger, newer tank. I was very dubious about buying fish from a private person but she was very knowledgable and the fish are very healthy. She said her fish had started to be too crowded so decided to shrink the population! They do look good- hope I am not regretting my decision later.
Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hey this is doug, the one that is texting you. you should use aquarium salt and raise the temp up to 86, helped me and no chemicals involved. and do 3x w/c a week and you should be good within a few days to a week at most.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

"took your advise" warmer water and salt. All are healthy and doing well, No chemicals needed. *now I have 2 bottles of FosterSmith special remedy on hand. hopefully never need it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com