Another noobie looking to get into aquariums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I joined hear 2 years ago asking the same thing, but I never ended up getting started, but I think I would like to now.

An e-freind I have got me interested in aquariums and now Id like to try to make it a reality.

I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about aquariums and I need an expert to give me some advice.

Here are a few questions I have:

What is the average cost for a small basic setup?
What is maintenance like?
Saltwater or Freshwater?
Where should I get the equipment?
What fish are easy for beginners?

Ill have more questions, but those are the main ones for now.

Thanks!

Im new myself but from my research but here is what i have figured out so far......

What is the average cost for a small basic setup?
Depends on a lot of things but the their is alot you dont realize and it adds up quick.... tank, filter, heater, gravel, decorations, test kit, food, fish, misc. supplies. They say to get the biggest tank you can afford and that long is better than high. My 37g setup has cost me prolly about $200 so far ( i spent more on decorations than the tank LOL )

What is maintenance like? I just started with my tank but water testing and weekly water changes seem to be the norm that i have read...

Saltwater or Freshwater? Saltwater intimidates me and i think would require alot more research and dedication than freshwater ( but i could easily be wrong ) And i believe ( again i could be wrong ) that saltwater is more expensive to set up.

Where should I get the equipment? I suggest researching online but when possible utilize a local brick and mortar store. While the information you get online will probably be more accurate and unbiased, i feel its good to patronize your local businesses and it could be nice to have a relationship with them if you ever need anything.

What fish are easy for beginners? Research and find ones you like, there are alot of choices and decide if u are going to do a community tank or a species tank. Make sure to check your waters ph because many fish require different ph ranges so you will either need to stick to ones good for your water or will have to do something extra to make it compatible.

Probably not the detailed answers you were hoping for but im not really qualified to give better/more specific advice. But i know i like when people respond to my questions lol

Welcome again!
FW is cheaper than SW. There is A LOT more work to keeping fish that I thought there was when I started! LOL! And for my 4 FW tanks, I have spent about $1500.

welcome back:)

how small of a set up?

i would go with freshwater-less expensive and esier IMO

you could look on craigslist for the equipment

for fish guppies(live bearers in general),small types of tetras, or a betta- cant think of any more but i know there are lots more for beginners

Im still learning too so im no expert but thats wat i got for ya.

hope i helped ;)

I would start with freshwater and work your way into saltwater if you feel like you want too. A good starter size would be a 40 gallon tank IMO as they are big enough to keep the parameters in an acceptable range after a mistake has been made and it is easy to keep clean. I agree, check craigslist for used equipment at a good price, but watch out for the people that ask rediculous amounts for used setups, equipment, and tanks. I would try some tetras and cories. I would stay away from livebearers like guppies and platies unless they are a must have because they breed like crazy and if given proper hiding spots, many will survive uneaten which you may have a problem getting rid of, JMO though. Welcome back to AA!

o ya you do need to be carefull with the live bearer becuz they do breed like crazy. if you do get any go with only males. (i started with a couple female guppies...ended up with almost 30-40 fry, i do love them though and most have lived out there lives, so be carefull lol);)

I looked on Craigslist and didnt come up with much. Any recommendations for tank around 55gal form an online store?

I want to find the aquarium first and then find the rest of the equipment.

I dont need one with a stand because I have a ledge that goes around my room that would fit an aquarium perfectly.

when you say ledge, what exactly do you mean? just make sure its sturdy... remember, every gallon of water weighs 8lbs, plus the equipment...

Im normally not a real big fan of buying things used, but if there is a good tank out there that you guys would recommend I get then I might go that way.

What would be the best site to buy an aquarium from?
And what is a good site for the rest of the equipment?
when you say ledge, what exactly do you mean? just make sure its sturdy... remember, every gallon of water weighs 8lbs, plus the equipment...
Oh really it weighs that much? It can support my 250lb frame. Maybe Ill have to look for somewhere else to put it.

Oh ok, so one with a stand would be better than my shelf option.

Hmm, Ill look around locally.

I just have a metal stand my dad made for my big tank. He welded angle iron together. It might not be the prettiest thing, but I cover it with a sheet and have a ton of storage under it LOL!

Back
Top Bottom