Anxious newbee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggerhappy88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am new to this site, but very excited to learn and discuss fish with fellow aquarist. I am new to saltwater tanks and tried to do plenty of research before setting my tanks up. I am enjoying my new fish very much; however I am worried that they may have ich or some other bacterial infection. A few days ago, my blue jaw was showing signs of small white dots on her fin. Since then my two spot tang was covered with white threads. No other fish are showing these signs. Everyone is eatting fine, and swimming like normal. A few of the fish are rubbing against the rocks and my orange bristletooth remains white. I set up the 15 gallon tank to separate a few fish, just in case it was stress related. Now I have 4 fish in the 56 gallon and 3 fish in the 15 gallon tank. I want to make all our fish happy and healthy. I have tried garlic with their shrimp, leveling my pH as best I could. All other levels seem normal for a beginner tank. Temperature is good, no nitrates or nitrites, little ammonia. Having some trouble balancing pH. Tried buffer, then calcium. Have I introduced these fish too quickly to each other? What should I do?

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! :fish2:

This forum is more for just introducing yourself. You may try posting your questions in the FW getting started forum. You will get a ton of help there.

How long has the tank been running? How did you cycle your tank? You show ammonia but no trites or trates? Sounds like your tank is just now getting ready to cycle. Any ammonia is bad for your critters my friend. When were all the fish introduced?
Your going to catch alot of flak for having a tang in a 56g. But if any fish had ich then your stressed out tang would be the most suseptible to catching it as well.
What's your exact readings on:
PH
ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Specific gravity
Do you have a CUC?

Not knowing when you set it up, but if it just started up, or just barely cycled, then I'd say your moving waaaaaaaaay too fast.

Thanks all for your reply,

I bought new tester kits today and retested tanks. My levels read as follows: ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrate @ safe, pH was a little difficult to read..somewhere b/t 7.8 and 8.2. My hydrometer is w/in range for a saltwater tank. Have done about 10% water change a couple of days ago. Fish are still eatting well, but my humu and niger trigger are still brushing against rock. My tank is a little over a month old. I started introducing the triggers and tangs in the last two weeks. My tang has some of the white spots but lots have fallen off and since no other fish have shown signs (fingers crossed). I am still nervous about the scratching though, could this be due to my pH?

It sounds like ich, the parasites will fall off once they're ready and will multiply while on the substrate/rocks. I'm guessing the tang mustve had some on him when he was introduced. They were probably in the begining stage of their feeding part of life. I would hospitalize all your fish andstart treatment.

Back
Top Bottom