Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Apple snail

Hi I'm relatively new to keeping fish. I have a 46lt tank and have been stocking it with advice from my local per shop. I started with a couple of black mores An albino plec and an albino clawed frog. I then got an apple snail and all was well until I added two guppies. Suddenly my snail decided to spend all off it's time in its shell. It was I thought having a growth spurt as its shell was getting bigger so I thought it was normal. However after about a week I become concerned and soon realised it was dead as its internal mass was deteriorating. I assumed at the time the guppies were the reason my snail went into hibernation because they were introduced around the time the snail started hiding, they probably nipped it. Simply put I just don't l know. I'd like to get another snail but don't want my two guppies to pick at it again. Any ideas?????

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Hi and welcome to AA!! I am afraid I am going to the bearer of bad news. Your local pet store has been giving you some awful advice. 46l is only about 12 gallons. Black moors need a minimum of 20gals for the first fish, 10gals for each fish after. Moors and plecos are not compatible. Black moors are a species of fancy goldfish. They are not compatible with tropical species either because they have different needs for housing, diet & temperature. Your going need to address your stocking issues as soon as possible in order to have happy, healthy fish. This will mean either investing in another tank or returning/rehoming some fish. Please take the time to research the fish you are interested in keeping PRIOR to purchase in order to be assured you will be able to adequately house, feed & care for them in addition to their compatibilty with each other. Please dont hesitate to ask questions because we are here to help!!! Heres the guide to setting up a fw aquarium- it has links to both fish-in & fishless cycling:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Tags
apple, apple snail, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com