Aquarium disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

telsona

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,
I am new to aquariums and to this forum as well. Sounds like I stumbled upon a gold mine of aquarium enthusiasts which is great as I am an ex pat living in Peru.
I had the bright idea to build an aquarium in a window space in a cement wall between two interior rooms. The length is 145cms the width 28cm and height is 70cm - all went well and the aquarium was built by a guy who is said to have much experience and is a dealer of sorts in the world of tropical fish. We filled the tank with water and stuck in a few guppies and sword tails. It lasted about 3 days until yesterday dinner while we were enjoying some fresh lasagna, the tank exploded! The seams held but the actual glass shattered and 65 gallons of water gushed through the house! The tank was built with 8mm glass and angled aluminum on the corners.
Here is my question - if I rebuild it with 10mm heat treated glass will that do the trick? Also add a metal frame to the top with brackets so the big side panels don't bow???
Please any advise will be great!!
I do not want a repeat as it could easily have killed some one!
Thanks

Welcome to AA. Sounds like quite a mess. Is this guy going to refund your money/clean up the mess??

holy cow! That stinks. You may want to move your post to a forum specific to you rquestion.

Oh...almost forgot, welcome!

Back
Top Bottom