Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aquarium for partially sighted son

I am setting up my second tank 200litres/55gal and looking for stocking ideas.
The tank is for my son who is partially sighted (and unable to speak/sign - so he can't help with decisions).

Key thing is that the fish need to be reasonably large (4-8"), quite slow moving, mostly solid bold colours and against a high contrast against the backdrop/plants for him to see them.

We discovered that he liked fish by watching him entranced by 5-6 Blood Parrots in 300g tank with a dark blue background. We replicated this as well as we could with a blue b/g and golden mollies/platies in a 10g and for the last 10 months he has spent +30 mins a day with his face against the glass. I know he can also see and track the red bellied piranhas at the LFS (they contrast against a dark b/g and cruise around pretty slowly).

My LFS suggested 5-6 Angels and they are beautiful - so it is a tempting option.

I am also tempted by the idea something along the lines of a specimen or two with a species that schools quite tightly.

Anyway I am open to suggestions as I would rather track down the right fish and plants than rush it for whatever LFS has in stock this week.

I don't want complex maintenance (my 10 gal is no problem so hoping 55gal will be safe to leave with wife/daughter etc when I travel with work etc - usually only a week or 10 days). Local water is a little hard here in London, but have been doing ok with the 10g once we got a stable stock/water and tweaked the conditioner qty (lost a few Platies in first 3 months then switched to Mollies and since then all has been good).

Lastly I like the plants and decor almost as much as the fish so want to make sure I have all three perfectly complimenting each other and a design that makes those fish really stand out.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can do blood parrots or angels either 3 blood parrots or 3 or 4 angels in a 55g with some drift wood and live plants and black gravel or black sand to make the fish stand out more to so along with a black backround

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can also get a colorful placo if you do drift wood like a royal placo or orange butterfly placo
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could also do African cichlids which r beautiful fish and almost look like saltwater
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
You could also do African cichlids which r beautiful fish and almost look like saltwater

African swim fast and rarely stay put they are colorful but they swim too fast he also wants something with a lower maintenance and swims slow
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I'm sorry didn't see that. If u use black sand with a black or blue backround. Then I would suggest a albino bichir as they would stand out very nicely with dark backround and gravel. For main fish I would go with discus if ur willing to spend some money absolutely the most gorg fish
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought most African chichilids were super busy creatures. Also they tend to have very iridescent scales which I think might be difficult for frank to focus on. I rather like gouramis but decided against them in that basis too. Cool fish though.

Xwing. Interesting thoughts. I understood both BP needed 5-6+ and Angels 1,2 or 5+ to a tank. Like the Placo idea.

It's 1am here so had better get some rest and catch up on suggestions in the morning.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry didn't see that. If u use black sand with a black or blue backround. Then I would suggest a albino bichir as they would stand out very nicely with dark backround and gravel. For main fish I would go with discus if ur willing to spend some money absolutely the most gorg fish

Discus no he is gone for 10 days at a time and he would be a new to fish keeping also his ph is high already
Old 02-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya but his son would prob live those as there slow and very pretty and colorful
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ya but his son would prob live those as there slow and very pretty and colorful

It's just better to start with an easier fish to keep than once he understands water perimeters he can switch to discus because discus is NoT for newbie

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com