Baby Biorb Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles_2009

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys!! I'm a Medical Biology student at the University of Aberdeen. My flatmate gave me a Baby Biorb tank for christmas and since I'm a newbie to all this fish stuff....I'm currently feeling a bit lost. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! My name's Kat btw..and I look forward to meeting u all! xx

Hi Kat! Welcome to AA! How much capacity is there in that biorb? The problem with them is that because of the limited area for O2 exchange and the relatively weak filtration, they need to be stocked very lightly. You could probably do an interesting setup with shrimp &/or snails though.

i agree. invert tank really not much of a fish tank. more about looks then anything. good luck.

My advise is to sell it and get a bigger tank...."Just kidding".....
small tanks are very hard to maintain do to water lost to evaperation that causes the salilnity to rise and nitrate control. Heck it's a gift...give it your best shot and Happy Reefing,

Unless I missed it somewhere, do you want this to be a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank?

As others have pointed out, a saltwater tank with such a small tank (assuming it's something around 15 liters/5 gallons?) wouldn't be a good intro to the hobby, so you might want to consider the freshwater side of things.

[Edit: Duh. Just looked at your "My Tanks" and see that it's a 15 liter.]

hi kat,
i am also a student and have a baby biorb on my desk!
i understand what the others saying about such a small space, but in my experience if you are committed to frequent water changes it can be fine with fish! i know it doesnt come with a heater, so unless you buy a small heater sepatarely, i would look into white cloud mountain minnows. you could probably keep 2 or 3, and they have pretty red tails.
let me know what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom