"Baby Boomer"/Classic Rocker Say'in Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClassicRocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
:wave: Yep, an "old man" and Classic Rocker fan here! Yes, LOVE Classic Rock music, some Disco, Oldies, Motown and Country. Wife is a "Boomer" as well being 1-1/2 years older than me (both mid 60's). She loves Motown (being born/raise just outside good old Detroit), Oldies, some Disco, the Classic Rock and Country. Me, I have an outgoing/SPUNKY:dance:/humorous personality that my wife LOVES!! We both love boating, fishing, some travel, movies at home:popcorn:, my cooking(y), photography, playing our Wii Game, NFL-PGA-NASCAR. Also love using a computer and definitely know how to type and fast. No "hunt-and-peck" here! LOL

This is our first and most likely only aquarium we will ever have (living in an apartment). It is a Marineland Hex 5-5 gallon w/carbon cartridge filter/BIO Wheel, Mini Heater and Thermometer. Our "fish of choice" will be a male Betta, Moss Ball and one or two Ghost Shrimp. Our next pet will be a Shih Tzu dog.

Welcome to AA! You and your wife sound like a lovely, fun couple to know. :) Music back in the day was a lot better than the stuff you hear these days. :whistle:
Are you two cycling your aquarium for the future betta? You will want to establish the aquarium before you get your little guy so that he can live a happy, long life. Contrary to popular belief, bettas can and if properly cared for, live over 5 years. I am glad to hear that you will be putting him in an aquarium rather than vase that gets no heat or filtration. The majority of commercial pet stores will tell you that you only need to have the tank set up for a day before adding fish, but that is incorrect and definitely not enough time to establish a tank and build up the good bacteria to fight off the bad bacteria and keep your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates either at the right levels. I'm not sure where you are as far as the cycling process goes, so let us know, and we can go from there.
And as far as ghost shrimp goes, I will warn you that most bettas try to pluck these guys up and eat them for a nice snack. Maybe someone else can chime in on the topic, but unless you have adequate plant cover for the shrimp, I am sure the betta will have them eaten pretty quickly. :nono:
Hope to see you around the forums! :welcome:

Wow, another nice "Welcome":thanks:

Yes, we are cycling it and the water numbers are really looking good. Won't be long! Just added a live plant (Anubias Congensis) earlier this week and took out two artificial ones out. May get one more live plant.

Yes, LOVE that Classic Rock (Styx, Boston, ZZ Top, BTO, Bad Company, Heart and on and on. Years ago, I use to pound a set of Ludwig drums......boy, those were the "good old days". Wife loves Motown b/c she grew up just outside of it. She got me into Motown and I got her into Van Halen (LOL). We also listen to some "Oldies" like Paul Revere and the Raiders, Lovin' Spoonful, Association, Ventures, etc. BTW, need to tell you that we are "Baby Boomers" in our mid 60's.......that's why we love all of this older stuff. Oh, can't forget Country music, like Brooks/Dunn, Alan Jackson, Garth, George, etc. Actually, my wife will tell you she married me b/c she loves my cooking and that I could do a mean 2-Step on the dance floor. The dancing days are gone, but not the cooking ones!

Again, thanks for the nice "welcome".

Welcome to AA! You and your wife sound like a lovely, fun couple to know. :) Music back in the day was a lot better than the stuff you hear these days. :whistle:
Are you two cycling your aquarium for the future betta? You will want to establish the aquarium before you get your little guy so that he can live a happy, long life. Contrary to popular belief, bettas can and if properly cared for, live over 5 years. I am glad to hear that you will be putting him in an aquarium rather than vase that gets no heat or filtration. The majority of commercial pet stores will tell you that you only need to have the tank set up for a day before adding fish, but that is incorrect and definitely not enough time to establish a tank and build up the good bacteria to fight off the bad bacteria and keep your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates either at the right levels. I'm not sure where you are as far as the cycling process goes, so let us know, and we can go from there.
And as far as ghost shrimp goes, I will warn you that most bettas try to pluck these guys up and eat them for a nice snack. Maybe someone else can chime in on the topic, but unless you have adequate plant cover for the shrimp, I am sure the betta will have them eaten pretty quickly. :nono:
Hope to see you around the forums! :welcome:

Back
Top Bottom