Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks again!

Ok, thank you everyone! Sincerely appreciate the help. Now to figure out what on earth I'm supposed to do with hundreds of growing baby fish. UGH! Sure hope our little pet store will take them off my hands when they are ready. Wish me luck!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
Wow, what a beautiful tank. Maybe I will convert one of mine to salt one day. Have never had this kind of help to do that before. What a great site!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had two convicts in my tank and was told over and over to get rid of them but didn't sure enough I found out why. They breed every three weeks and have hundreds of babies they won't eat their young they are extremely protective of the babies they will eventually overrun your tank if left alone. Best bet is to get them a convict only tank. I currently have my breeding pair in their own tank and I'm still scooping out baby convicts from my original tank they are pretty but are real pests. The only reason I'm keeping them now is so I can use their fry as feeders for my other fish. They aren't worth the trouble of taking my tank apart every time they breed. You really have to keep an eye on them if you want to leave them in a mix species tank in order to keep them under control.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #14

OH no!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
I had two convicts in my tank and was told over and over to get rid of them but didn't sure enough I found out why. They breed every three weeks and have hundreds of babies they won't eat their young they are extremely protective of the babies they will eventually overrun your tank if left alone. Best bet is to get them a convict only tank. I currently have my breeding pair in their own tank and I'm still scooping out baby convicts from my original tank they are pretty but are real pests. The only reason I'm keeping them now is so I can use their fry as feeders for my other fish. They aren't worth the trouble of taking my tank apart every time they breed. You really have to keep an eye on them if you want to leave them in a mix species tank in order to keep them under control.
All I have to say is UGH lol! Ill feel a bit guilty but I definitely see your point. Time to start scoopin! I think I had three females and all had babies at the same time. Im already over run, can't imagine if it were to get worse.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I felt bad about it too at first but than I just got really fed up with them and it became like a weekly ritual with every tank cleaning came convict pest control haha. But now I have FINALLY got them all out. Thank god, figured I would keep them for something though now I don't have to buy feeders anymore I have hundreds at hand at all times. It may seem cruel but I just think of them as any other feeder fish now. Rabbits have nothing on convicts!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #16

Great way to look at it. My grand daughters think they're keepn all these babies so i did as you suggested and set up a tank just for these guys. When the girls go to bed I just scoop a few out and into the other tank they go lol. Chain of life right? Haha!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keeps everyone happy.

Tags
baby, convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com