Baby convicts HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tammy1964

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four convicts in a community tank and now all of the sudden there's hundreds of babies. What do I do with em and will the parents eat em or should I separate the fry from everyone? Also, i'm new to this site and not sure if i'm posting correctly so I apologize if im in an incorrect place.:

Tammy1964 said:
I have four convicts in a community tank and now all of the sudden there's hundreds of babies. What do I do with em and will the parents eat em or should I separate the fry from everyone? Also, i'm new to this site and not sure if i'm posting correctly so I apologize if im in an incorrect place.:

Welcome! How many fish are in the tank? The parents can get very aggressive when protecting there babies. I know you said 4 victs but with what else? Are there hiding spots for the babies?

I'm am not sure about these fish type but I would seperate to be safe.

Welcome to the site. If you look on the main forum page you will find different sections with descriptions as to where to post what. You will get the hang of it.

Chances are, your convicts will be able to take care of the fry on their own, unless there are some particularly aggressive fish in the tank. It is often easier to let the parents take care of the babies on their own, and its a lot of fun to watch.

The choice is yours.

Also frequent water changes are important at this stage. You really don't want nitrates to get above 15 or 20 ppm while you have eggs or fry, so you will probably have to change your water much more often than usual.

Last edited:
Thank you!!

Thank you sooo much for the advice. Also, about the water. My water always tests hard. I assume that is because I have well water. If the fish are acclimated to the hard water is it a problem or should I buy water for water changes in hopes bottled water is softer?

Oh, also have a huge silver dollar (prob not what they are really called but you prob know what I mean) and two big angels, sucker fish, and a big spotted catfish of some kind.

Tammy1964 said:
Thank you sooo much for the advice. Also, about the water. My water always tests hard. I assume that is because I have well water. If the fish are acclimated to the hard water is it a problem or should I buy water for water changes in hopes bottled water is softer?

Leave it IMO changing it will shock them. Convicts are EXTREMELY hardy fish they will and can adapt. Just keep your water parameters consistent and they will be fine.

thanks again!

Ok, thank you everyone! Sincerely appreciate the help. Now to figure out what on earth I'm supposed to do with hundreds of growing baby fish. UGH! Sure hope our little pet store will take them off my hands when they are ready. Wish me luck!:fish2:

I had two convicts in my tank and was told over and over to get rid of them but didn't sure enough I found out why. They breed every three weeks and have hundreds of babies they won't eat their young they are extremely protective of the babies they will eventually overrun your tank if left alone. Best bet is to get them a convict only tank. I currently have my breeding pair in their own tank and I'm still scooping out baby convicts from my original tank they are pretty but are real pests. The only reason I'm keeping them now is so I can use their fry as feeders for my other fish. They aren't worth the trouble of taking my tank apart every time they breed. You really have to keep an eye on them if you want to leave them in a mix species tank in order to keep them under control.

OH no!!!

I had two convicts in my tank and was told over and over to get rid of them but didn't sure enough I found out why. They breed every three weeks and have hundreds of babies they won't eat their young they are extremely protective of the babies they will eventually overrun your tank if left alone. Best bet is to get them a convict only tank. I currently have my breeding pair in their own tank and I'm still scooping out baby convicts from my original tank they are pretty but are real pests. The only reason I'm keeping them now is so I can use their fry as feeders for my other fish. They aren't worth the trouble of taking my tank apart every time they breed. You really have to keep an eye on them if you want to leave them in a mix species tank in order to keep them under control.

All I have to say is UGH lol! Ill feel a bit guilty but I definitely see your point. Time to start scoopin! I think I had three females and all had babies at the same time. Im already over run, can't imagine if it were to get worse. :banghead:

Yeah I felt bad about it too at first but than I just got really fed up with them and it became like a weekly ritual with every tank cleaning came convict pest control haha. But now I have FINALLY got them all out. Thank god, figured I would keep them for something though now I don't have to buy feeders anymore I have hundreds at hand at all times. It may seem cruel but I just think of them as any other feeder fish now. Rabbits have nothing on convicts!

Great way to look at it. My grand daughters think they're keepn all these babies so i did as you suggested and set up a tank just for these guys. When the girls go to bed I just scoop a few out and into the other tank they go lol. Chain of life right? Haha!

Back
Top Bottom