Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP View Post
So I took another look at the tank last night and it seems to be holding at the same level of "cloudiness". I'm stuck with the strips for now because I don't have much cash to just toss away the strips and go buy new stuff. Here are my readings..

0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate
0 Chlorine
7.4 pH
25 Hardness (GH? KH? IDK.)

0 Ammonia

This is good I would say.

The 10 tetras are still doing very well but it appeared that the betta was getting picked on by the tetras. I didn't forsee that happening so I moved the betta to a fishbowl until I can figure out what is going on. The snail seems to be in a different place in the tank everytime I check on it but he has this whitish-greenish stuff growing on his shell. Algae? I don't know. ADF is still missing.

Other than that nothing new. 2 questions.

How long should I keep only this many fish for? How long would I expect for this to take to cycle?

I am trying to keep my eyes peeled for a jump in NH4/NH3+.... when will that happen? Then from my understanding the NO2- will go up and when that goes down the NO3- will go up.

The only other issue I want to address is the temperature is up to around 80° to 82°.

The tank is in my bedroom and unfortunately I don't have A/C. I do keep the fan going and the shades down but the weather in connecticut has just been so hot and humid lately it is rather hard to keep the tank cooler short of putting ice in the tank (DONT WORRY I DIDNT AND WILL NOT DO THAT).

Advice? Answers? Thanks guys.

P.S. What does FOWLR mean?
I am a newbie myself but have learned a few hard lessons fast so here is my 2 cents .
First the cost of the API Master test kit is well worth it. I was sold the strips when we started also and found them to be unreliable.
Not sure about the snail, maybe someone else could shed some light on what is on his shell.
As to how long you should keep only that many fish for: It really depends on how long it takes your tank to cycle. A typical cycle seems to be around 30 days, your tank is running warm so it might be a little faster.
As for the NH4/NH3 jump: It may be happening already, my strips never registered ammonia, even when levels got so high I was losing fish . But it will vary. I found a very nice chart at Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle that helped me to understand what to expect. Keep in mind its a rough guidline, every tank is a bit different.
Anyway hope this is some help.

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

8 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hi »